How is the product going to be licensed?

Shamil

We've been told that xenForo is under a commercial license, and the pricing scheme will be competitive to that of vBulletin and IP.B.

However, do you think xenForo would benefit more from having a "subscription" style system, such as the prior used by vBulletin. i.e. paying for updates/support?

There will always be people pirating stuff, it's not something you can stop. However, the amount of people pirating it will increase depending on the price, quality and whether or not the price is reasonable compared to the quality.

I agree with this. Everyone may pirate any product no matter the cost, however, the higher the price the more it will get pirated imo. A decent number of people won't pirate it unless they can't afford it.

To add to the above, it helps if you don't take a hard, single group stance on customers, like vBulletin does. Grouping customers according to needs: academic etc. can be very useful.

Yes, except not for student, because they don't really have a great need for it, as do non-profit organisations or more specifically, charities.
Actually, I think a lot of students / youngsters are creating their own forums, and sticking with stuff like phpBB because it's free. However, phpBB isn't all that great, and if you could get those people to become customers by offering them a reduced price that actually might have some benefits, imo.

But I do agree with you that those kind of plans would be an interesting idea.

Mike and Kier are in business.

They are decent people and they clearly want to operate ethically, however we should not lose sight of the fact that they are not doing this to be altruistic, or out of the good of their hearts. This operation is intended ultimately to make money, and rightly so.

They will want to pitch the license fee at a level that will stimulate good sales, whilst also providing money to invest back into the development of the product, and of course hopefully leaving a nice profit at the end of it.

And again, rightly so.

So as I said earlier, I don't want to see a "cheap" license, I want to see one at a realistic price - one that is affordable, yes, but also one which provides the levels of return the business needs to see it grow and make money. Because that way end users such as myself get a better, solid and competent product than I would if it was done on the cheap.

Of course I wouldn't want it to be ludicrously expensive either. But I'm serious about my website (which is why I get so cross with Internet brands these days), if I wanted "cheap" I'd use a free solution.

There's a way between both, you know?

Let's not forget this is an alpha version 1 that hasn't been ever released. It has yet to prove itself, and it's still missing a lot of important features. That's okay, everything will be fine, but if they're asking +- what vBulletin is asking I suspect there will be problems, like I posted earlier. They absolutely need to charge enough to keep developing, but they also need new customers that don't know Kier and Mike and be realistic in what the software is worth on this current moment. I'd really, réally hate to see something with as great potential as XenForo die because of asking too much of their customers.

Guys, I´m a bit confused. Beside the fact that Mike, Kier and the rest of the team have to make a living, at this point it´s senseless to discuss a pricing scheme. As announced it will be a price competetive to IB and WBB. We don´t really now what will be included in the first release, if there will be seperate modules, a full package, yearly or lifetime licences..it´s all not worked out at this moment. Understandable.

Have some faith and wait what they announce. As far as I remember those guys are wether dumb, nor crazy, nor lemmings ;)

Guys, I´m a bit confused. Beside the fact that Mike, Kier and the rest of the team have to make a living, at this point it´s senseless to discuss a pricing scheme. As announced it will be a price competetive to IB and WBB. We don´t really now what will be included in the first release, if there will be seperate modules, a full package, yearly or lifetime licences..it´s all not worked out at this moment. Understandable.

Have some faith and wait what they announce. As far as I remember those guys are wether dumb, nor crazy, nor lemmings ;)

There's nothing wrong with voicing our ideas and feelings about pricing however. We can do that here and feel listened to. ;)

I believe the prices we are talking about are based on the people developing it, what is currently here, the quality of it, and knowing what will come in the future. Yes, we don't know what's coming for sure but we have a good idea. Going on the basis that it will be competitively priced with IPB and vB, we're just tossing up ideas of what that figure could be.

The decision lands on Mike, Kier, and Ashley in the end, but I'm sure they factor in our discussions too. :p

We just want to get our awesome opinions across so Kier, Mike and Ashley aren't completely clueless to what we want in the end. :P Or we could just let them make up a price without any input lol. That would be more fun imo.

Actually, I think a lot of students / youngsters are creating their own forums, and sticking with stuff like phpBB because it's free. However, phpBB isn't all that great, and if you could get those people to become customers by offering them a reduced price that actually might have some benefits, imo.

But I do agree with you that those kind of plans would be an interesting idea.

For free, I think MyBB is great.

Marv,

I think you misunderstood the objective of this thread. It is to suggest or put forth licensing schemes, not pricing schemes. Nobody is talking price here, ppl are just voicing their opinion on what kind of licensing they would be comfortable with.

It would be senseless for us to discuss the pricing scheme, which is why nobody is.. :)

Top Bottom