How is the product going to be licensed?

Shamil

We've been told that xenForo is under a commercial license, and the pricing scheme will be competitive to that of vBulletin and IP.B.

However, do you think xenForo would benefit more from having a "subscription" style system, such as the prior used by vBulletin. i.e. paying for updates/support?

Rather, why not give discounts depending on what amount of products you take? Pay relatively more for each product if you only take Forums + CMS for example, while paying relatively less for each product if you take multiple products. Same for the annual renewal fee. Give a discount when you get multiple products. And not just when you buy them all in once, but also if you bought two and then later decide to add another one.

Personally, I think that would be way more interesting for customers.
IPB does like that. I find it attractive as well.

The number of threads here has exploded and I've had a hard time keeping up, but I'll throw my hat in the ring for a larger initial cost outlay without the accessory renewal fees. That also depends on how they charge for each branch release. (1.x, 2.x, 3.x etc.) Another piece the cost puzzle would be the add-on costs, so I'm really curious to see what they come up with in the end.

I'm excited like everyone else to dig into a fresh product and grind some virtual gears. I just don't want a difficult licensing/support scheme to deal with. I'm all for giving money to Kier and Mike, so I think no matter how it goes, I'll be in the game. :P

We haven't finalised pricing and licensing. We have some ideas around those that have been mentioned already. We will let you all know what we think will be the most suitable structure, once we have decided.

(Trying to sound fluent and well spoken!) What you see here highlights the thought (discussion and research) that has gone into the product. Rest assured that we want a license and price structure that is reasonable and sensible (and clear) and much thought and discussion will also be given to this decision. We have an underlying ethic to provide a product that people want to use and that people will show their support by buying the product, which in turn enables us to further (continue) develop the product, to further support XenForo users. Mutual satisfaction :)

If Mike and Kier could bottle whatever it is they have that triggers that, they could make millions selling it to other businessmen!
It's called being well respected and community friendly developers. We know they are capable of making great things, we know they want to deliver said great things, and we know they'll try and listen and discuss ideas for great things with the community. There's very few developers out there with this level of respect, and I can't think of any of them that work for a large company.

vB and IPB get pirated for a reason. they are over priced. Why not set a decent price that is affordable for alot of people, rather than just a few.

You'd end up making much more money.

vB and IPB get pirated for a reason. they are over priced. Why not set a decent price that is affordable for alot of people, rather than just a few.

I disagree. ANY paid software gets pirated. Take CodeCanyon for example. Scripts on there cost on average $10 - they ALL get pirated all the time.

Price makes no difference to pirates - if its paid, it'll get pirated - period.

I disagree. ANY paid software gets pirated. Take CodeCanyon for example. Scripts on there cost on average $10 - they ALL get pirated all the time.

Price makes no difference to pirates - if its paid, it'll get pirated - period.

thats not true at all.
I know many people who pirate only because they can't afford it. Personally i don't. I'd rather use free alternatives like mybb than pay hudnreds a year from a forum script. Which is fine.

I'm just saying more people would pay, and even people who don't pirate, would pay fi the prices were lowered. I mean its common sense really.

Sometimes statements like this are true, sometimes they are not. Sometimes when you show people a P&L statement they are surprised. Also in a low margin environment progress and innovation are truncated. Things like this are a case by case basis. I am not 100% sure that IPB is overpriced.

You will not find many economists that can accept a statement like that with out much more information all the way from the most conservative to the most liberal.

Think about the elasticity of the price, at certain prices if 100% of the people wanting it bought it it could be at a level that is not fair to the developers or is even not even possible to do.

How about we you sold your labor at a lower price. You might be able to get a more opportunities to work more hours if you would work at half your normal wage. I think those of us here on the sidelines simply do not have the data to come up with that kind of information.

I wish they had a way to measure the elasticity to get the the greatest return on investment possible. It is possible it will be at a lower price then they chose, it could also be at higher price then they choose. It is pretty hard to hit this number accurately.

Sorry shareware that costs $5 gets pirated as well.

Indeed it does and guess what, the developers all turned out to be millionaires because people bought the software in their masses due to the cheap pricing. Look up Id Software, Apogee. Pioneers in gaming, started out selling shareware episodes of their games.

There will always be people pirating stuff, it's not something you can stop. However, the amount of people pirating it will increase depending on the price, quality and whether or not the price is reasonable compared to the quality.

Top Bottom