How do you swap out your VB for XF forum?

Ranger375

I'm a little confused on what I need to do to swap them out and avoiding any negative seo changes. I have my current vb forum in /vb folder and my xf test site in my /xf folder. So I am supposed to import the forum, and then run the 301 script. Then what? Am I then able to drop the vb database? How long do I have to maintain the files in the vb folder for the 301 script before I can just delete all the vb files? thx

So I am supposed to import the forum, and then run the 301 script. Then what? Am I then able to drop the vb database? How long do I have to maintain the files in the vb folder for the 301 script before I can just delete all the vb files? thx

Yes you can drop the vB database but you should keep a backup just in case.

The vB files aren't needed for the 301 redirect. You only need the redirect files in the vB folder.

Yes you can drop the vB database but you should keep a backup just in case.

The vB files aren't needed for the 301 redirect. You only need the redirect files in the vB folder.

So having my forum in a different directory (ie /vb to /xf or whatever) won't be a problem? Also, would I be able to delete everything else in the VB folder besides the 301 files?

I just tested the redirect scripts. They redirect fine when in the same directory as xenForo, but not so much when outside of that directory. This person successfully modified the script to do what you want:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/redirection-scripts-for-vbulletin-3-x.5030/#post-85662

Yes, you can delete everything else in the vB folder except the redirect scripts. The scripts don't rely on vBulletin at all. I have confirmed this in my testing.

Top Bottom