Do you run Photo Competitions on your xF Forum?

Thanks, yes I've read that thread lots over the years. Just hoping that someone might have come up with another solution or one that is not so labour intensive.

Unfortunately, I can't get MOTM to work consistently on my forum even with the developer's help so I'm giving up. Initially, I had the Themescorp version which worked well for a few years but when it got taken over etc and required updating it fell into a heap on my forum and has frustrated me no end.

I really wish there was a purpose-built and well-supported photo competition addon for Xenforo but obviously there hasn't been enough demand for one over the years.

I was hoping the Competitions addon by Chris Deeming and Stuart Wright would eventually include a photo comp perhaps the 2.0 version might whenever it becomes available - it has been suggested in their thread several times https://xenforo.com/community/threads/competitions-for-xenforo-paid.59696/

Ideally, something integrated into the media addon would be great - I really need something I can set and forget on my forum because I just don't have the time to fiddle with complicated addons anymore.

Unfortunately, I can't get MOTM to work consistently on my forum even with the developer's help so I'm giving up. Initially, I had the Themescorp version which worked well for a few years but when it got taken over etc and required updating it fell into a heap on my forum and has frustrated me no end.

I really wish there was a purpose-built and well-supported photo competition addon for Xenforo but obviously there hasn't been enough demand for one over the years.

I was hoping the Competitions addon by Chris Deeming and Stuart Wright would eventually include a photo comp perhaps the 2.0 version might whenever it becomes available - it has been suggested in their thread several times https://xenforo.com/community/threads/competitions-for-xenforo-paid.59696/

Ideally, something integrated into the media addon would be great - I really need something I can set and forget on my forum because I just don't have the time to fiddle with complicated addons anymore.

Exactly the same boat with MOTM, need transition to something that works at least.

Yeah, I do find the competitions addon by Chris does help to keep the members of our small forum motivated but the photo comp was fun, more engaging, and good at creating extra content.

It's surprising there isn't a dedicated photo competition addon really... Most forums could do with one - I reckon anyway :)

Yeah, I do find the competitions addon by Chris does help to keep the members of our small forum motivated but the photo comp was fun, more engaging, and good at creating extra content.

It's surprising there isn't a dedicated photo competition addon really... Most forums could do with one - I reckon anyway :)
Hmm. so the MOTM by @XFA doesn't work on XF2? That's a shame. Is it en-route? I can't recall..

Last edited:
Well it seems to be working for others, but that discussion would be better suited in the resource thread.

I haven't moved to XF2 yet so I can only go off my forum and as I stated even with the developer physically tweaking mine directly he was unable to get it working so I disabled it.

The comp would run but there were glitches such as voting issues, confusing navigation to enter images, and comp failing to choose a winner etc.

I haven't moved to XF2 yet so I can only go off my forum and as I stated even with the developer physically tweaking mine directly he was unable to get it working so I disabled it.

The comp would run but there were glitches such as voting issues, confusing navigation to enter images, and comp failing to choose a winner etc.
Oh that is interesting.. That's a shame. Is there anything else you think that could help sort it? Was it in any way, say for example, a possible comms issue?
Do you think there's a major failure with it or?
We've used it for years with no real issues if I am honest. But will gladly help if we can. The support from XFA is usually on the ball, so it's a shame to see you couldn't get it working..

Maybe by you, not by me.
So please read prior posts, on topic, discussing the same, before bumping your gums. :rolleyes:
Fact is, you waded in with a link but without even realising that the posts here, were discussing an add-on for a photo competition but is hit for some, miss for others. Your post was totally irrelevant to the discussion taking place..
Please don't try to now derail a genuine interest in something, for a feature, which you're now deflecting because you got something wrong and look a fool.
Fact is, this works for some and not for others. There's a genuine interest for photo competitions using XF. What are your experiences in doing so?
Do you use this add-on? Have you used it?

Perhaps you need to take a chill pill and reevaluate the topic of this discussion and where to discuss a addon.

Have a good day and try not to let the little things upset you so much just before the holidays. It's not healthy.

Yes that's right, the main point is the addon is promising but it doesn't work very well and obviously isn't maintained with a lot of "love" which I find is a shame because the older version worked fine. For now, there's no alternative.

I'd be happy to help fund a better addon or to improve this one just as I would Chris' Competitions to get photos included in his addon.

These days, I personally can't afford the time to manage addons that are overly complicated, are buggy, or require constant upgrading so I would just like something simple that works automatically like most of my other addons do on our forum.

Top Bottom