How do you invest your money?

Getting 2.8% on a web-only savings account with unlimited transfers/deposits. It's not offered to new customers any more though (about 1.5% now)

Getting 2.8% on a web-only savings account with unlimited transfers/deposits. It's not offered to new customers any more though (about 1.5% now)
When I'd first opened my ING Direct and HSBC Online accounts I was getting a ~5% return, it's now under 1%. :(

My investment has now become my house.

I have 1 paid off rental house, but the A/C went out during the summer months and I went ahead and replaced it along with the old furnace, and new roof... that cost me money so now I'm back to square one :D

I have an IRA and just started a company 401k. If I'm still working for this company 4 years from now they will match $0.50 on the dollar (unless they can that).

I occasionally buy broken down cars via craigslist and fix them up, drive them for a month or more, and re-sale them for profit. I can only legally limit this to 5 a year since I don't have a dealer license and do not wish to obtain one. More of a strange hobby than investment, but I did sell a Ford Contour for $2,900 a couple months ago that I purchased for $800 and put about $280 in parts into it (timing belt broke, and needed brake work).

When I'd first opened my ING Direct and HSBC Online accounts I was getting a ~5% return, it's now under 1%. :(
Exactly. I used to have the same one. I use to open couple of online only accounts and shuffle money around. I have exactly the two account you have but the interest rate and the hassle doing it is not worth my time anymore.

I have 1 paid off rental house, but the A/C went out during the summer months and I went ahead and replaced it along with the old furnace, and new roof... that cost me money so now I'm back to square one :D

I have an IRA and just started a company 401k. If I'm still working for this company 4 years from now they will match $0.50 on the dollar (unless they can that).

I occasionally buy broken down cars via craigslist and fix them up, drive them for a month or more, and re-sale them for profit. I can only legally limit this to 5 a year since I don't have a dealer license and do not wish to obtain one. More of a strange hobby than investment, but I did sell a Ford Contour for $2,900 a couple months ago that I purchased for $800 and put about $280 in parts into it (timing belt broke, and needed brake work).
You didn't account for your time spent on buying, fixing, selling. Time is the most precious commodity.

You didn't account for your time spent on buying, fixing, selling. Time is the most precious commodity.

The cars? Well, I do keep an Excel document on the exact amount of money I have spent including parts, but you are right that I don't keep track of the time involved. Heck, I think the hassle of selling almost doesn't make it worth it in the first place... then I take a risk each time someone test drives, because legally its my insurance that is involved.

But honestly, I'm clueless about investing.

Financial planning:

financial.planning.webp

Top Bottom