How do you handle discouraged users?

jgas

Hi guys!
My moderators and me find that the Discourager can be very useful for our community.

I'm here to ask you if you use this option to discourage some users, and what you tell them if a discouraged user open threads asking about the board problems he is having every day!

Thanks, have a nice day.

I'm here to ask you if you use this option to discourage some users, and what you tell them if a discouraged user open threads asking about the board problems he is having every day
That is why I only used it once on a different forum.
It created more work for me just to ignore his emails asking me what was wrong with the site.
I dealt with the him first by giving him a warning. Then created his own usergroup where his permissions were restricted.
Eventually he got the message.

Using the discouraged "URL Redirect", I like sending them to a Virus ridden pop-up site. The type you can't escape from once you land on it without crashing your browser to do so.

Only kidding of course. :whistle:

One of my moderators said "we tell the discuraged user that we are evaluating the situation and we make him delete all the browser data, so that, every time, he will lose all the saved passwords" :D

I've been using the discouraged feature on a few of my sites.

I use the discouraged feature to show them to another site of my choosing.
Using the discouraged "URL Redirect", I like sending them to a Virus ridden pop-up site. The type you can't escape from once you land on it without crashing your browser to do so.

I understand you're kidding, but just know that.. it's going to cause more trouble to your site than it solves it.

LOL!!! What virus url redirect pop up site do you send him too?

I understand you're kidding, but just know that.. it's going to cause more trouble to your site than it solves it.
lolllll

I've got the values cranked up to where it is pretty much impossible to navigate the site while discouraged. But I'm not fooling around these days, if they are a problem, I ban them.

Actually, I don't see how it would cause more trouble for you. Them knowing if they re-visit to cause trouble again, they may very well get 10 trojan's installed after being redirected to nasty site. It might make them "think twice" much more about coming again, it would me! Rather than redirecting them to a harmless page they have nothing to worry about each time they come causing more trouble in the future, where's the deterrent in that?

If people are coming intent on causing you forum grief, more so abusive ones. I have no qualms about doing something like that at all. Treat them the same way I say! Remember, the only people being redirected are the ones you list, so you could only list really severe abusive trolls, the worse kind you see on forums who deserve to be treated that way.

That may sound harsh and bit OTT. But have you ever had a really bad troll on your forum, the kind that post abuse and bad language aimed your way with every single post made. And don't do it for weeks, but none stop like "AnthonyCea" did with two of my forums. It's a totally different story when you get some trolls like he was utterly obsessed with ruining your forum.

Have never used it myself and will surely not use it. I DELETE / ban ip, emails etc. accounts that are sending spam. If a member is going guerrilla on my forums, he's losing the entire account. I ban the account and that's it. I don't 'discourage' anyone, I warn them prior to the perma-ban to let them know they're under my watch and, if they don't cool off, they're out. no reason for me to sugar coat a ban. You're not OK with my rules, you can view the forums as a guest :D

Have never used it myself and will surely not use it. I DELETE / ban ip, emails etc. accounts that are sending spam. If a member is going guerrilla on my forums, he's losing the entire account. I ban the account and that's it. I don't 'discourage' anyone, I warn them prior to the perma-ban to let them know they're under my watch and, if they don't cool off, they're out. no reason for me to sugar coat a ban. You're not OK with my rules, you can view the forums as a guest :D

Your a bit of an animal, ain't you. :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom