How do you deal with problematic members?

• We use an infraction system (please tell us why you use this and if it works)

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • We do not use an infraction system (please explain how you deal with the problem)

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Not running a forum atm

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
frankly speaking, i never understood the infraction system properly on vB. it annoyed the hell out of people who were given an infraction like it was an insult or something. so i just started using miserable user addon on 'really' annoying users. and told others to either follow the rules or leave.
But when do you know someone has crossed the line and should be banned? And do you still remember all their misbehaviour after weeks or months, especially with thousands of members posting during that time?

I hear from several people opposed to infractions that it is too harsh, too insulting... But isn't it much much harsher and insulting to immediately ban someone, because you vaguely remembered he or she has done something wrong more than once? We use a 7 pt system, if they reach 5 points it's a weekban, 7 is perm ban. With every infraction a PM is send explaining why they received it. Yes, sometimes there is resistance, but most understand why we have it and most are following the rules better because of it.

I think it really depends on the members/community.

i have personally realized that people who tend to get annoyed at warnings and infractions were not going to last for long anyways. my forum has a smallish community of members that have stuck on for long and they know what the moderators are comfortable with. so it is mostly self-moderated nowadays!

I never really used the infraction system, preferring instead to talk to members 1-on-1, however I might have something created for a canned response warning system, based around warning severity, which would then log, and manual action would be taken on a later date.

Probably not like what most people want, but I much prefer a system where members are only alerted to doing something wrong, rather then slapping them in the face for it, and if they continue, then taking action. 

Never used the infraction system, on other forums I've been on have led to more angst than they were worth. Only have a small forum though so always take the personal approach via pm or IM.

It seems there is a causality between smaller forums and the personal approach vs big boards and use of the infraction system?

Quite probably right there Dutch. What I found with the bigger board is the personal approach led to a bit of confusion and accusations of favouritism. When they went to the infraction system pretty much all personal contact went which to my mind was their mistake.

If you get 3 infractions you go into the "retard rehabilitation program" where all your posts can only be accepted by mods and you can only post freely in one forum, "The Retard Rickshaw."

Points expire after 3 months.

Works perfect, except the moderate threads/posts area in the admincp is terrible and needs filters/categories.

Unless such members start overtaking my board, I just let them be [excluding spammers]. Getting a little "phuck you" message can be sometimes refreshing to users, including me.

Here's how I deal with 'em (you know what's coming)..........

spanking.gif

(Lordy.)

I've always had more trouble dealing with the members who have decided for themselves that someone is "problematic" and who refuse to accept any decision that the "problematic" member is posting within the rules of the board.

Or how about those members who want 3000 specific rules on what someone can post, plus the right to blackball anyone who looks at them funny.

I have a 3 way warning system.

If you are a spam bot, there isn't one. It's perm ban.

But first warning is when you register, you agree to the site rules. So that's first option one had to read and respect the site rules.

If a user goes over the line they get an infraction, based on their posting history this will be a warning or a full infraction point. That's their warning that we don't tolerate such behavior, and they have to read the rules before posting again.

If the user disrespects me or my staff by ignoring our warning or infraction, they find out there's no room for a third warning. It's a perm ban.

We're not publicly discussing their misconduct, and removing the offensive material, and deal with it in the staff lounge. This way it doesn't get public attention, and users simply move on.

We don't allow this kinda teen-drama nonsense on our site.

Users who bypass a ban by creating dupe accounts are simply merged and lose ANY option for their perm ban being restored - which could have happened, if they email us with a real apology. Their positive change in behavior could mean no more leeway, welcome back .. and consider the ban the third warning. Getting back from a perm ban is 100% up to he user.

Continues harassment and abuse results in us mentioning to please stop or we deal with it accordingly. But it usually doesn't get that far.

I consider my web site my house, and I let strangers in who get my respect, and they can keep this respect by returning the favor. Trashing the place means you get told to behave. If you disrespect me and continue, you get thrown out.

And I hate those web sites where the whole staff gets involved over what 1 user did, and then 15 of their friends speak out in the same disrespectful manner, and everybody threatens to revolt and it's teen drama for two weeks over 1 user who simply broke the rules. No thanks. Address the problem, move on. And if others jump in, they get asked to let it go.

Top Bottom