1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Cross-Promote Your Related Forums?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by System0, May 7, 2012.

1. System0

System0 Active Member

I am thinking of developing 2 or 3 other related forums which will complement an existing forum I run. The topics are different therefore a new forum is the best idea though many people from each forum would be interested in the other forum (but not all, which is why I am launching more and not putting them all on one domain).

I'm sure many XenForo do have related forums and/or have in the past, therefore I'm curious as to how you cross-promote them.

• Do you put a network link bar at the top of the page?
    • Do you put a network link bar in the footer?
    • Do you link to your other forums by creating a link node via XenForo?
    • Do you hard code links to your other forums right into the nav bar?
    • Do you cross promote them in a different way?
    I'm keen on seeing how other members promote one of their forums to members of another forum they own. What's the best method in your opinion?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

2. dojo

dojo Active Member

I either put links or banners in the footer/sidebar. Tried a network bar years ago, but it was a tad tacky for my liking, though it's not a bad idea to put the links into a very visible spot

3. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I use an Advanced HTML widget from xFrocks Widget Framework.

cross.jpg

4. System0

System0 Active Member

Yeah my first thought was a network bar though I'm not sure that works well with the xenforo login area at the top of the site (I know this can be moved though).

Suppose a simple links area displayed prominently on the home page could be a good way to go. I've got node tabs installed too so I could add links to the main navigation bar as well :)

5. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Hmm. That's a good idea.

Working on it.

System0 likes this.
  6. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Well-Known Member

How about a network bar running along the right or left hand side of the sites (sitting on the background)?

7. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Okay I used Jaxel's RawHyperText block module that came with the latest version of Xenporta.

For the forum list, I called that block inside xFrock's Widget Framework Advanced Template (Without Wrapper) block.

cross2.jpg
    cross3.jpg

Breixo likes this.
  8. System0

System0 Active Member

That's one possibility. I do like the idea of branding all forums in the same way so that some members sign up to other forums. Looks more professional that way too imho.

9. Breixo

Breixo Active Member

That's a good option, but it's quite static.
    I prefer to use the same plugin Widget Framework, but to add a Feed Reader widget, so the last X threads will show there. More dynamic and rise more interest :)