XF 2.0 How do we upgrade XF1 to XF2?

AndyB

Here's what i have done so far:

1) Created a folder and copied the complete XF2 files.
2) Created a new database.
3) Imported the my XF1 backup.sql to the new database.
4) Copied config.php from another install of XF2 to the new folder, then edited the config.php as needed.
5) In the browser I went to:

https://www.domain.com/upgrade

After confirming all is well I get this message:

1506028348903.webp

This looks like a new install. I would like to upgrade and XF1 database, what did I do incorrectly?

Last edited:
Just seems like you're over complicating it a bit.
  • Have a working XF1 installation (including config file, data files, internal_data (especially the install-lock.php file!)
  • Upload the XF2 files over the top of the XF1 files
  • Go to the /install URL and follow the instructions

Upload the XF2 files over the top of the XF1 files

I don't like doing it this way. I prefer a clean install, so I created a new folder.

I assume this wording is what is what I need clarification on:

1506029509572.webp

If I check that box I assume it will be a new install and if I leave it unchecked it will upgrade my XF1 database, is this correct?

I went ahead and left the check box empty and clicked Begin installation, but I get this error message:

1506029961631.webp

How are we suppose to upgrade an existing XF1 install if we want to create a new XF2 folder instead of copying over existing XF1 folder?

I don't like doing it this way. I prefer a clean install, so I created a new folder.

Then you're not going to be able to upgrade, if you do a clean install you get just that -- a clean install.

If I check that box I assume it will be a new install and if I leave it unchecked it will upgrade my XF1 database, is this correct?

No, if you check the box it'll delete the data in your xenforo20b3 database and create a clean install, if you leave it unchecked it'll probably just error out and tell you that you can't do that.

How are we suppose to upgrade an existing XF1 install if we want to create a new XF2 folder instead of copying over existing XF1 folder?

• Have a working XF1 installation (including config file, data files, internal_data (especially the install-lock.php file!)

Reactions: Bob
I copied the internal_data and data folders to my XF2 folder, but I still get the error message:

1506032566433.webp

Are some of the XF1 files needed for the install? Isn't there any way of doing an install from XF1 to XF2 without overwriting the XF1 folders with XF2 folders?

You don't want to have the src/config.php and you do want the library/config.php, which is accomplished with the steps @Chris D mentioned

Isn't there any way of doing an install from XF1 to XF2 without overwriting the XF1 folders with XF2

Why are you against overwriting these? it's the correct way to do the upgrade. These files are useless with the xf2 database anyways so you'll still have to do a manual backup for the db, just backup the files too

Last edited:
Obviously this way will work but I like AndyB's way.

It is possible to do as AndyB's way so we will have a clean Xf2 on the server without merging with xf1 files?

What You are trying to achieve by making new db and importing old into it.

Is that something, whicha can make difference.

Clean install might need full package

You might be playing with upgrade package (just kidding i know you are great)

Pretty sure XF2 has all of it's own files. Delete everything except data and the config. Set the add-on files aside. Copy XF2 and upgrade. Copy back add-ons if they need to run uninstall routine or require any files for the upgrade to the XF2 versions.

I am on the hunt now getting all my available XF1 add-ons XF2 counterparts and preparing to make that move to XF2 ((cheers in the crowd))

When I go to download XF2 am I still checking the box so that I only receive update files versus the entire XF2 download?? I know that is how we do it with XF1 moving upwards to newer versions of XF1 - but I was not sure if XF2 being such a core re-write can still be done in that manner?

Thanks!

That whole "install-lock.php" file I would advise people to look for. I was in the same place as the OP following these steps, noted the Common Upgrading Problems mention of it in the documentation. Did touch install-lock.php in my terminal and away I went with the upgrade.

(y) Thanks for this.

Top Bottom