Not a bug Upgrading from XF1 to XF2 effectively disables the "Disallowed text in usernames" list

DeltaHF

Affected version
In XF1, the formatting for the "disallowed text in usernames" list specified that banned words be separated by a space.

In XF2, the formatting for that list specifies that each word needs to be on its own line.

The upgrade process does not change the formatting for the list for you, so the single-line list is imported directly from XF1 into your new XF2 installation. This means that if you upgrade from XF1 to XF2, your banned username list is effectively disabled without your knowledge (because all the words appear on one line), unless you know to specifically check for the updated formatting requirements of that field.

Unfortunately this has already resulted in an embarrassing situation for my staff and I. It needs to be made clear that the formatting for this important list has changed or the upgrade process should update the formatting automatically.

Last edited:
In XF1, the formatting for the "disallowed text in usernames" list specified that banned words be separated by a space.
Are you sure about that?

Looking at a XF1.5.x install, the instructions for Disallowed Text in User Name says: "The words or phrases in this field will not be allowed in any part of user names. Put each word or phrase on its own line. Entering 'tar' will disallow 'star' and 'tarnish' etc."

No, I'm not.

I suppose the single-line string was imported from our vB 3.8 conversion in 2013, it has not worked correctly for eight years, and despite hundreds of thousands of user registrations, we just never noticed?

Top Bottom