XF 1.2 How do I remove the "Last edited by a moderator" message?

jauburn

After the upgrade to 1.2.4, I'm getting a "last edited by moderator" message on posts. Previously, I had disable all such messages. I don't want any "edited" messages. How do I get rid of that and disable the function?

Possible bug:

When "last edit" message is given in a post, editing the post and just clicking "clear last edit information" does not clear the last edit information. You must select BOTH Edit silenty AND clear last edit information. If one is dependent upon the other, then the latter should be grayed out until the former is selected.

Why does anyone want to see a "last edited by" message anyway? I never understood why this was a default rather than an option. Why is this important at all?

Is it important to most to know when or by whom a message was edited? If so, why would that be?

To my users, it's an intrusion, an invasion of privacy.

Because some users like to keep track of their edits, especially on vBulletin where normal users can view the edit history on their own posts.

vbulletin?

Some users? How many?

I've never heard from a user who requested a "last edit" message. I've run forums with 65,000 users, and I've always turned this off. No one--and I do mean no one--has ever said, "hey, I would like to see a 'last edited' message."

Someone tell me why the "last edit" thing is important. You did not.

Again, yes, for some users.

Which ones? And why?

Most importantly, why?

You're asking for too much detail and information. Not everything needs a reason.

Yes, though, some members do like it, and it's especially helpful to staff, for example, if a member tries to hide a swear word they put in so they don't get in trouble.

Not everything needs a reason.

I disagree. Everything needs a reason.

some members do like it, and it's especially helpful to staff, for example, if a member tries to hide a swear word they put in so they don't get in trouble

As I said, I've "admin'd" tens of thousand of users. Not one has asked me for a "last edited" notice. I can tell you why they wouldn't like it, though: Because a message posted for posterity should be able to be edited by the person who authored it. Period. And an admin who edits a post should be able to do so without tens of thousands of users wondering what the "edited by moderator" message actually signifies.

Hide a swear word? Are we in romper room?

Last edited:
If it isn't important to you then you can remove it easily via the option that Mike pointed out.

It was a highly requested feature, actually, by many of your fellow forum admins. It wasn't in XenForo 1.1.X and it was new in 1.2.0. For some, it is an important indicator to their staff and their members that a post has been modified. For others, such as yourself, it's not so important.

Everyone wins.

While I admit that most times, I don't care to see if a post was edited there are some instances where I like to see when a post was edited. Here's an example, it may be a bit extreme but it's "possible".

Me: I'm looking for custom work!
Developer: $20 and it's yours!
Me: Agreed!

Simple transaction. Now lets say there was no edit info and the next day it reads like this:

Me: I'm looking for custom work!
Developer: $100 and it's yours!
Me: Agreed!

Without a last edited by field it would look like I agreed to pay $100 instead of $20 to the job whereas if there was one, I would have more standing when it came time to file a complaint as it's clear the message was edited with a later time stamp than when I "Agreed!" to it. Extreme case I know, but still that might be one reason people like edit fields especially on a work request type board.

Without a last edited by field it would look like I agreed to pay $100 instead of $20 to the job whereas if there was one, I would have more standing when it came time to file a complaint as it's clear the message was edited with a later time stamp than when I "Agreed!" to it. Extreme case I know, but still that might be one reason people like edit fields especially on a work request type board.

Not really. Last edited doesn't say what was edited--it just says that something was.

Regardless, I suspect examples such as yours are the exception, not the rule, which would argue that such a feature should be turned off by default.

Not really. Last edited doesn't say what was edited--it just says that something was.

Regardless, I suspect examples such as yours are the exception, not the rule, which would argue that such a feature should be turned off by default.
The majority of requests here prove that such a feature being on by default is the way to go -- there is a feature to turn it off for those who don't want it right? It makes no sense to have a feature off from first, it should be turned off by a webmaster if not required.

Top Bottom