how do I import users from VB 4.0

mp4doggie

Ok my issue is that my VB is on a different server and I simply need the users. I own another forum that I want to stay VB but I want to tie the 2 together by allowing my members to jump from forum to forum without having to register on my new xen forum.

ps: yes I downloaded the forum imported but since it is not localhost (diff server ) i am having a few issues .

thanks all

You can import just the users by running only the user module. You will likely need to copy the database over to your xenForo server since most MySQL servers don't allow remote connections.

Note that the import copies the current users at which point they are separate user databases. Any additional registrations or account changes on one forum will not show up on the other after the import.

You might need to use this unofficial vB4 importer. I am not sure if the vB3 importer that is included with the software will let you proceed.

edit - Brogan :p

I think that vB4 importer that Brogan linked to allows you connect to a remote MySQL server. I've used it a few times and it's worked perfectly. You have to be sure the foreign db server will accept a remote connection.

ok , all so I followed the instructions and was very exceited to see it was making some progress but alas it was stopped by a server error
i did import the db over to my local server but now I get a server error

edit: think i have it solved , my brain is slow today ;)

Attachments

• xen.webp
    xen.webp
    15.8 KB · Views: 8
  • xen1.webp
    xen1.webp
    68.1 KB · Views: 9
Okay, I imported my vb forum yesterday, after a few fits and starts, mostly, as a friend calls them, chair errors. Or in my case, recliner errors. Anyway, after my second start at it, I had my vb profile exactly matching my xf profile and was able to avoid most of the chair errors. Since the vb import had all the posts that an older smf database had where I was listed as a guest account, I avoided that import totally into the vb system. Here was my query yesterday: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/question-on-user-intergration.7691/

Okay, so I cut the clutter, editing out old posts and accounts no longer needed and cleaned up the vb database. I also made my vb profile match, as much as possible, my profile on my xf copy.

Then I made a backup copy of my xf forum and preceded to import the vb forum. Other than list of duplicate usergroups that I now longer use or need, I had done it easily enough. So I brought up my old forum and my newest xf forum and compared the missing usergroups side by side. The ones listed on XenForo but not at vb, I deleted.

Oh, and this was a 4.0.8 copy of vb I imported. I just didn't have a blog running or a cms. I had been using vbadvanced, turn it out prior to the migrate and wasn't even using the blogs. So I basically imported a forum only copy of vb 4.0.8

Top Bottom