Implemented  hover over topic title shows part of the first post

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
In at least the 4.0.5 version, they made it back the way vb3 was where the preview shows up anywhere in the post bit. Go click on New Posts on vb.com.

I stand corrected. I never use the New Posts on vb.com. It's too bad they made that at the cell level too. It goes against all logic to have a preview at the cell level when the rest of the internet has it at the link as it should be.

http://flowplayer.org/tools/demos/tabs/mouseover.html (jQuery tools demo)
couldn't something similar be implemented where each title's container element when hover displays a preview similar to the 2,3,4, blocks that popup when you look at this post in the threadlist? And to add to that could a checkbox determine preview on/off somewhere above the first thread?

That would be great, but it needs to pop up only when you hover over the thread title, not the container. The reason is that if you have it popping up over the cell, you're constantly having previews come up and that gets annoying real fast.

do it like this with a full three second delay http://eqmandingo.com/hover_element_highlighted.png

correct me if im wrong but couldn't this be used as a hover over the thread title....

and for that matter couldn't with a delay we use an overlay on hover duration 3000ms or whatever and have that display as much of the post as can fit and still look like a nice slick element...I can make an image of my vision, lemme know.

do it like this with a full three second delay http://eqmandingo.com/hover_element_highlighted.png

correct me if im wrong but couldn't this be used as a hover over the thread title....

and for that matter couldn't with a delay we use an overlay on hover duration 3000ms or whatever and have that display as much of the post as can fit and still look like a nice slick element...I can make an image of my vision, lemme know.
I like that.

• Having a thread preview popping up all the time is not fun.
  • Having a delay when wanting to see a thread preview is not fun.
  • Having to click on something for a thread preview is not fun.
  • Having to hover over the thread title to get the thread preview is not fun either, because it can take a reasonably precise mouse movement, and also because often there are really short thread titles mixed up with really long thread titles.
  • Having no thread preview is really not fun, at all.
I do not know what the answer is, perhaps it is as simple as making the preview 'better looking', possibly like shown in the picture above. In theory it could look like the forum descriptions on vb, but have the the first 50 (for example) characters of the first post show up in a smaller font below the thread titles.

Obviously what I typed was not a specific recommendation for xf to be changed.

I don't like that at all, creates too much clutter IMO especially when you are not interested in the information or have already read the first post of the thread.

Please, please do this. I literally started numerous forums using/buying into vb 6+ years ago because of thread previews. I worked on other boards with phpbb and could never get used to the lack of preview. Every site that I owned from that point on had to have previews, so I literally stayed with vb. If you spend any significant amount of time administering a site, previews are an enormous time saving feature.

So many people create horrible titles (that have nothing to do with their thread), and you find yourself wasting valuable time clicking/clicking back out of a thread which was of no interest. It also serves as a great way to look for potential spam getting past filters. Hovering over the title with the mouse should be added to xenforo. I literally joined the site so I could chime in on this thread. As a long time vb owner who is not willing to run/convert/buy into the vb4 mess, please take this request seriously. I have spent a lot of time evaluating what to do with communities. I just happened to come across this site in a response to vbulletin.
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?360187-Fabian-s-Post

I look forward to the progress with xenforo. It looks amazingly prosperous thus far.

I thought about this for quite some time (see first post in this thread by me) and I have decided I am glad it doesn't give that info. I don't miss it, and I do enjoy that I don't get the annoying popups. I think it's fine as it is. But I don't have real arguments as to why. This one is really personal preference for me.

I read through the entire thread to see what people had said in favor/not in favor of the preview. To me, I don't understand the purpose of people in favor of seeing the current popup? You'd rather see: "go to first unread message" if you hover your mouse, versus seeing what's being said in the thread?

2yxrj4l.gif

If you dislike the previews, why is there not more talk about removing this text from showing at all when hovering (when it could be useful dialog)?

Yeah, I honestly dislike that tooltip too. :)

Me too, (more because I just don;t like the look of that particular tooltip but I would rather see an overlay popup that displayed the entire first post similar to the way the membercard is rather than something that is nothing but a general message. Can't wait to see what happens to this. As I think about it more and more ... I don't always know what to name a thread...descriptions go a long way.

That is epic ... is that your kid? If it is maybe you could make a sign that says PWEESE KIER CAN WE HAZ TOOLTIP? and have her give the lens some puppy-eye-age (ohh i made up a dual hyphenated word SWEET)

Normally I would only Like you post but...
We have something underway.

Thank you! I too started with vb specifically for this feature. Especially as a casual user/visitor to various sites. I found that made a forum much easier to use so those were the sites I joined (there are many forums).

Top Bottom