Implemented  hover over topic title shows part of the first post

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
When I'm scanning a list of threads (whether it be within a particular forum or on the What's New page), the title isn't always enough for me to decide whether I'm interested in the thread or not. If the thread preview was there, it would greatly help to make that decision. Without it, I spend waste more time opening and closing threads/tabs than I need to, since I'm blindly going into the discussion thread.

This feature is so requested that even IP.Board had to add it after several years of not having it (link).

Exactly. Im not going to be clicking away at every thread, waiting for the page to load, quickly seeing..."this isnt what I thought it was"... backing out, waiting for the page to load again, and starting the process over. There are many things to do on the net nowadays and waiting for pages to load isnt one of them.

I do find the preview-on-hover feature handy. But until I read this thread I hadn't realised this forum doesn't have it, so I guess it depends on the type of forum and the discussions in it - and how good the members are at writing descriptive topic titles - as to whether people will need it.

I'm torn really because one of the things I'm liking about Xenforo is the lack of bloat and how fast it zips along. As soon as we start adding all these "just like vB" and "just like IPB" features back in, the slower it will get and then it's just another vB/IPB :)

I miss this feature a lot, I always use the previews personally. Doesn't mean there's always something important in them, but...

I also like that vB mod that came out for the 3.x series that had added a little + sign/icon next to posts that allowed you to VIEW the entire first post (using an alternative postbit legacy template) with a nice scrolldown/ajax effect when clicked. While having to use a little bit of resources it does allow you to not have to load up the entire thread's queries when you find out that post wasn't anything you really wanted to read!

I replied to this thread right at the beginning but that doesn't stop me replying again. I miss being able to rollover a thread title a lot ... it saves so much user time and server load when people can see whether or not the thread is of interest to them. Why would I want people clicking on and opening up threads they have no interest in? Nah! Give them the rollover option and let's keep things simple. On this site I hate not seeing what threads are about before clicking on them.

Is a feature like this bloat? I don't think so. It's not in the way - it's just there on the forum ... excuse my lack of technical know how!!

Is a feature like this bloat? I don't think so. It's not in the way - it's just there on the forum ... excuse my lack of technical know how!!

It could be considered bloat from a technical standpoint. It requires additional SQL queries that pull quite a lot of data, and that could definitely slow down the forum. :)

as far the the 'bloat' argument goes, i am certainly not prepared to drop $ on a barebones featureless board.
there are plenty of featureless boards i can run for free.

I agree that this is a feature that can be added, I don't think it will create any extra load since first posts are almost static from the moment the thread is made so they can be cached, the only moment extra 'load' would occur imo is when the first post gets edited, but then again this is almost like creating a different thread, nothing more... imho

Having the ability to preview the contents when hovering over the thread title is a must have feature. Why has this gone to 4 pages already. Kier please fix this.

Also while you're at it, please add the New Post icon next to the thread title and make the thread title always go to post #1.

Thank you.

I'm almost going insane everytime I hover over a thread title.

I only read the first page (usually the only valid discussion of any thread), but I agree that maybe including an admin option would help those who don't want the extra overhead. This is a rare occurrence for me, but I love this feature, and don't think it's [UI/experience] bloat at all. Definitely should be in the core, even if it isn't in 1.0 or even beta.

I am still split about this. I like it at times, but the same amount of times I just want to idle the mouse or point something out and more and more tooltips pop up. ugh. I dunno.
I feel the same about it, mixed feelings. In vBulletin 3.8 it actually shows when hovering over the whole threadbit. So only making it show when hovering for a few seconds over the thread title would already make it less harassing.

I feel the same about it, mixed feelings. In vBulletin 3.8 it actually shows when hovering over the whole threadbit. So only making it show when hovering for a few seconds over the thread title would already make it less harassing.

I've had to modify the template for years to make the preview only come up when hovering over the link as it should be. Many have complained for years to vbulletin to fix this annoying problem. But unfortunately they are extremely slow to make changes. I think after 6 years it will be finally fixed, but I'm not holding my breath.

I've had to modify the template for years to make the preview only come up when hovering over the link as it should be. Many have complained for years to vbulletin to fix this annoying problem. But unfortunately they are extremely slow to make changes. I think after 6 years it will be finally fixed, but I'm not holding my breath.
They changed that back recently I believe. 4.0.3 had the preview on just the link, 4.0.5 now has it showing up on the entire threadbit.

I also have a love/hate for the preview, I almost prefer a mouse click preview of some type. Thing is, this software operates far faster so the preview may not be as important.

They changed that back recently I believe. 4.0.3 had the preview on just the link, 4.0.5 now has it showing up on the entire threadbit.

I also have a love/hate for the preview, I almost prefer a mouse click preview of some type. Thing is, this software operates far faster so the preview may not be as important.

What you have noticed is that the New Posts page has the hover over the link and the forumdisplay has it at the cell level. I submitted a bug about 6 months ago and they agreed to fix it so that the preview will be over the link for both. I anticipate that sometime in about 100 years they will get around to actually making the 1 minute change.

What you have noticed is that the New Posts page has the hover over the link and the forumdisplay has it at the cell level. I submitted a bug about 6 months ago and they agreed to fix it so that the preview will be over the link for both. I anticipate that sometime in about 100 years they will get around to actually making the 1 minute change.
I followed your journey. You made the request, they changed it fairly quickly, and the older versions (at least 4.0.3) did indeed only show the preview in the New Posts when over the actual thread title.

In at least the 4.0.5 version, they made it back the way vb3 was where the preview shows up anywhere in the post bit. Go click on New Posts on vb.com.

I am also a casual member of another site that went from 4.0.3 to 4.0.5 recently, which confirmed what I saw on vb.com

http://flowplayer.org/tools/demos/tabs/mouseover.html (jQuery tools demo)
couldn't something similar be implemented where each title's container element when hover displays a preview similar to the 2,3,4, blocks that popup when you look at this post in the threadlist? And to add to that could a checkbox determine preview on/off somewhere above the first thread?
Something like that might be really nice, depending on exact implementation. Question is, where on the screen should it show up.

Top Bottom