1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hover effects / touch devices

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by mufunyo, Jul 31, 2010.

1. mufunyo

mufunyo Member

xF seems to rely heavy on rollover/hover effects for things like the pop-out boxes and the forum descriptions. Are there any plans to provide alternatives for touch-based devices where hovering is physically impossible? Of course disabling JavaScript is not an option.

2. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

The site works fully with javascript disabled.

3. mufunyo

mufunyo Member

:rolleyes:

4. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Those popup boxes like the forum description goes on the page normally when the javascript is disabled which could be good for touch devices etc. Take a try at it.

5. mufunyo

mufunyo Member

And it disables all the other nice things as well. I have Opera Mobile, which has a perfectly capable JavaScript engine, so I want to make use of it. Disabling JavaScript causes more page loads/reloads, where a whole new page needs to be loaded and rendered, which is much slower on a mobile device. The pop out quick reply and stuff like that streamlines the experience a lot. So again, disabling JavaScript IS NOT AN OPTION.

Maybe you could wait for a developer to give some insights before suggesting to throw out the baby with the bathwater from the get go?

6. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I am not suggesting to disable javascript completely. Just disable it [maybe for 1 minute] to see how the site would look on a non js friendly phone or handheld :p

I would be crazy to suggest disabling javascript to browse a website :p

7. mufunyo

mufunyo Member

Ooh, that's what you meant. Sorry for overreacting then, it wasn't entirely clear. :)

8. Floris

Floris Guest

mf !!!!!!!!!! :D
    Nice to see you here, and .. excited about XF.

9. Reeve of Shinra

Reeve of Shinra Well-Known Member

Ya, I noticed that some of the roll over effects don't work on my iphone.