1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hosting company(ies) to host XF for US members

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by emmy, Jun 10, 2014.

1. emmy

emmy Active Member

Hello,

I have searched here and found out that majority of people have recommended Nimbushosting, but this is located in UK. I will need an advise for US users - the best among them. I am currently hosting with Hostgator and when i did a test - it is loading in 6secs approx which i believe it is slow for starting forum. Also, i know i could change from shared servers when the traffic increases. Someone recommended Nginx and i do see this is too expensive for someone like me - just starting.

Any advise or recommendation will be great

Thank you

2. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

The Forum Heroes likes this.
  3. RoldanLT

Or if you have some spare time, learn to use centminmod.com :)
    Been using it for almost 1 year already.

4. emmy

emmy Active Member

Thanks Roldan - That site you provided is another home work for me:) I don't even know how to search what i need..lol

5. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

There's a new service launching within the next week or so that will include DDoS protection as part of the service.

Adam Howard, RoldanLT and emmy like this.
  6. emmy

emmy Active Member

What's it called?

7. Forsaken

It's not ready yet, but I'm going to be moving Xenique over to it to test out the service later this week.

emmy and Adam Howard like this.
  8. emmy

emmy Active Member

Okay..please keep me posted. What do you think about Cloudflare vs Cloudfront vs MaxCDN

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  9. Forsaken

Depends on what you're using it for.

I had quite a few issues with the service and moved away from it, though I still use it on a few sites that are mostly used for Google Apps.

Adam Howard likes this.
  10. Raitsa

Raitsa Well-Known Member

Regarding post #2: good luck on contacting Mike after he has taken your money.

Floyd R Turbo, Adam Howard and emmy like this.
  11. emmy

emmy Active Member

Okay..please keep me posted. What do you think about Cloudflare vs Cloudfront vs MaxCDN

12. RoldanLT

I'm using Cloudflare just for DNS hosting :)

13. emmy

emmy Active Member

Thanks for your answer - what else do you and how is your load time?

14. RoldanLT

15. RoldanLT

I'm using CentMinMod and it helps a lot! (y)
    Nginx 1.7.1 + SPDY 3.1 / PHP 5.5.13 + ZenD OpCache / MariaDB 10.0.11 / Memcached

16. emmy

emmy Active Member

Thanks - Your site is fast compared to 6secs - but what do you mean you're only using cloudflare to host just DNS - Do you have two hosting companies for your site?

17. Goodfella

Goodfella Active Member

Are you saying you want a USA Host? Is there a specific reason for this? I am currently using EuroVPS and absolutely love the service they provide.

18. emmy

emmy Active Member

I am in US and do not really want my server location to be far?

19. RoldanLT

My domain dns is hosted on Cloudflare and my forum Files/Database are hosted on a dedicated server @SoYouStart :)

20. Goodfella

Goodfella Active Member

I believe i had this discussion before on WHT and i don't think it makes much of a difference if the server is in USA or Europe. Initially i wanted a USA server since most of my traffic was coming from there but me being on a Euro server now i don't think it makes much of a difference..