Hosting company(ies) to host XF for US members

So@MattW - what do you recommend to host xenforo - I am more concerned about speed and i am very mindful about cost:)
full nginx / PHP-FPM ? Since your site is hosted on this
OpenLiteSpeed 1.2.9 is also decent on speed and memory use. Do NOT use the 1.3.x branch as it is labeled their "unstable"... and currently it is just that. I made the mistake of moving several sites over to it and had problems. Of those sites I moved my main forums back over to a nginx/php5-fpm solution (using nginx mainline now) and the rest I regressed back to OLS 1.2.9.

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a stable and fast hosting too. I've read something about Knownhost somewhere, and someone recommended it too. The cPanel is not included in its basic VPS plan, but SSD plans include the cPanel. I'm newbie of Xenforo, just purchased the license days ago, still trying to figure out what it does. Anyone has any experience with this hosting company?
Regards,

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a stable and fast hosting too. I've read something about Knownhost somewhere, and someone recommended it too. The cPanel is not included in its basic VPS plan, but SSD plans include the cPanel. I'm newbie of Xenforo, just purchased the license days ago, still trying to figure out what it does. Anyone has any experience with this hosting company?
Regards,
You'll like KnownHost. Their support is good and their vps / dedicated are fully managed.

You will likely be happy with Knownhost. They are perhaps slightly more expensive, but when it comes to managed hosting, you absolutely get what you pay for.

Hi @Adam Howard and @WSWD , thank you guys for the reply. I just signed up with Knownhost yesterday, although I'm a dummy rookie of hosting thing. Indeed, their support is pretty fast and efficient via emails. The WHM panels are like a supermarket to me, I need to learn to use them carefully. And yes their hosting price is not the cheapest, but I can tell that there's more I can do with hosting my sites than my previous shared VPS (a well known hosting company in Utah). By pinging the IP I can see the speed is a bit faster than my previous one, too. I hope everything will be OK with them while I'm building my Joomla + Xenforo site.

Hi @Adam Howard and @WSWD , thank you guys for the reply. I just signed up with Knownhost yesterday, although I'm a dummy rookie of hosting thing. Indeed, their support is pretty fast and efficient via emails. The WHM panels are like a supermarket to me, I need to learn to use them carefully. And yes their hosting price is not the cheapest, but I can tell that there's more I can do with hosting my sites than my previous shared VPS (a well known hosting company in Utah). By pinging the IP I can see the speed is a bit faster than my previous one, too. I hope everything will be OK with them while I'm building my Joomla + Xenforo site.
You've made a good choice.

I've worked with a few people who use KnownHost and their services and support are very good.

I sometimes wish I signed up when they were new and having all those good sales. I would have loved to have gotten one of their SSD VPS (2gb) for around $30 - $35. But their TOS doesn't exactly fit our requirements (we sometimes have the occasional nude photo).

Good luck @Innoch

You've made a good choice.

I've worked with a few people who use KnownHost and their services and support are very good.

I sometimes wish I signed up when they were new and having all those good sales. I would have loved to have gotten one of their SSD VPS (2gb) for around $30 - $35. But their TOS doesn't exactly fit our requirements (we sometimes have the occasional nude photo).

Good luck @Innoch

Thanks Adam! I signed up with their SSD-1 plan, 1G Ram + 15G space. One thing need to be aware of is, there are almost 5G space has already been used by system software and related files. When I took the first look at my storage, it showed that 38% of 15G was used already. One of the supporting team member optimized the "system space" down to 29% of total today.
I was wrong in my earlier post, SSD VPS does not include cPanel, it's an extra $5 for it. I used a coupon saved me 10%, so total was $36/mon. I don't know why they wouldn't allow me to choose their Yearly payment plan so I can save a few more bucks. So far so good. :)

One thing need to be aware of is, there are almost 5G space has already been used by system software and related files.

That's the case with any VPS. A lot of people don't understand that concept when they purchase a VPS vs. shared hosting. The entire operating system uses your space, the control panel uses your space, etc. Certainly shocking to people who are used to shared hosting.

That's the case with any VPS. A lot of people don't understand that concept when they purchase a VPS vs. shared hosting. The entire operating system uses your space, the control panel uses your space, etc. Certainly shocking to people who are used to shared hosting.
I always (when I create my VPS) allocate 40GB for OS related stuff - way more than I'll need typically, but I've got the storage to spare. I'm still sitting with around 2.9TB free that is not allocated to anything.

Top Bottom