Helping finding a good host

triforceguy1

Hello,

I currently host with HostGator, and have recently found out that they are probably not the best host to use, I've recently received a notice that I've been using too much CPU on their Shared Hosting which is annoying, especially as they claim they are unable to pinpoint which part of the site is causing the usage to go up.

So I am currently in the process of finding a new host again, yay!

I've recently found arvixe, which looks promising. The price is within my budget and they claim that they are suitable for XenForo hosting (they are even cheaper than what I paid for HG), but decided to come here first to see if anyone else uses them. Are they any good? What sort of CPU restrictions do they have? etc. etc.

Also, does anyone else have any good suggestions for hosts? Bearing in mind I also host a WordPress blog too

Thanks in advance
Leon

Hostigation or HostUS. HostUS is slightly cheaper, and they do managed VPS's (if you ever need/want a VPS).

Liam

Hostigation or HostUS. HostUS is slightly cheaper, and they do managed VPS's (if you ever need/want a VPS).

Liam
How's their CPU limitations on their shared hosting? Or would you recommend VPS Hosting.
(bear in mind I have a shout box add-on and Shop/credit add-ons installed, which I've heard can have an impact on CPU... not too sure, never good at the technical stuff haha)

For a shout box I would generally recommend A VPS... If it's popular.

As for VPS limits, I've run a bit coin node on a HostUS VPS a few times (which can use a lot of CPU for a couple of days) and there were no issues.

As long as you don't impact on other machines in the container, you'll be fine. It'd also be quite difficult to do that...

As for Hostigation, I used them for multiple years. Never had any issues.

Liam

For a shout box I would generally recommend A VPS... If it's popular.

As for VPS limits, I've run a bit coin node on a HostUS VPS a few times (which can use a lot of CPU for a couple of days) and there were no issues.

As long as you don't impact on other machines in the container, you'll be fine. It'd also be quite difficult to do that...

As for Hostigation, I used them for multiple years. Never had any issues.

Liam
Love the picture on Hostigation but it looks like HostUS will be the better choice

Does this configuration look like it would be suitable for my needs?
Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 11.48.30.webp

EDIT - Actually, I might go for the lower end VPS with HostUS

Last edited:
I was looking at Bluehost recently, specifically their cloud hosting, and saw it's pretty affordable.
Anyone have any experiences with them?

I've recently found arvixe, which looks promising.

Arvixe is owned by Endurance International Group which also owns HostGator. They split their many brands into multiple groups and Arvixe and HostGator is within the same group so their setup is most likely very similar to HostGator so you may still experience some issues with them.

Not sure what your technical skills are, but if you know your way around linux distros.
I would recommend DigitalOcean

I was about to post your exact question, @triforceguy1 I use Host Gator as well and have been having the same issues. I've used Bluehost before, but can't afford their Migration fee at the moment as I own 5 sites that are popular and are basically all set up...I refuse to start from scratch.

Unfortunately the configurations I would need from them don't quite meet my budget, thanks anyway though

We do offer discounts for members of this forum. I'm sure we can work something out for you. ;)

And thanks for the recommend, Mark!

As was already mentioned, Arvixe is owned and run by the same people who run Hostgator. In fact, the list is quite extensive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group
That's a fairly up-to-date list, but you have to catch it at the right time. EIG regularly deletes the list from that page, for good reason. They really like keeping all their brands a secret.

Solid advice on EIG. Stay far away from their brands. If you're able to admin your own server, Linode is definitely my pick. I have a couple of VMs there. I used to use Digital Ocean but their IP ranges are trashed. I had to send email from an external SMTP server since the IP they gave me was blacklisted everywhere when I got it.

I used to use Digital Ocean but their IP ranges are trashed. I had to send email from an external SMTP server since the IP they gave me was blacklisted everywhere when I got it.
You can clean that up in most cases.. but the IP's I've gotten from DO are clean on the major lists. ;)

Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 11.42.46 PM.webp

Hetzner Hosting is great ultra fast servers! You just need to know about how to hanled a server at least if you go with a dedi server from them, they don't offer any kind of support, which sucks.

Go for a VPS or something with them.

JaxVPS.com is who I use they also offer shared hosting.

Avrixe or what ever is also owned by the same company that owns HostGator they are called EIG. They own a long list of crappy companies.

Top Bottom