XF 1.5 HELP! - Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception:

ratrodbikes

Since February 1, 2017 my forum has been giving these errors.

I'm wondering if someone can look at the code below and let me know what would be causing these server errors...

Server Error Log
Error Info
Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Email to guinnappraisals@hotmail.com failed (after retry): Could not open socket - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277
Generated By: Unknown Account, 21 minutes ago
Stack Trace
#0 /home/ratrodbi/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(167): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_connect('ssl://secure.em...')
#1 /home/ratrodbi/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(216): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->connect()
#2 /home/ratrodbi/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
#3 /home/ratrodbi/public_html/forum/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#4 /home/ratrodbi/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/MailQueue.php(91): Zend_Mail->send(Object(Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp))
#5 /home/ratrodbi/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Deferred/MailQueue.php(10): XenForo_Model_MailQueue->runMailQueue(7.99999785423)
#6 /home/ratrodbi/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(295): XenForo_Deferred_MailQueue->execute(Array, Array, 7.99999785423, '')
#7 /home/ratrodbi/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(429): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 7.99999785423, '', false)
#8 /home/ratrodbi/public_html/forum/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(374): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#9 /home/ratrodbi/public_html/forum/deferred.php(23): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#10 {main}
Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(45) "http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/deferred.php"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(4) {
["_xfRequestUri"] => string(51) "/forum/index.php?threads/black-rat-dragster.101669/"
["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
}
}

Reactions: TJK
This would indicate a networking issue. Things to check would include an (outgoing) firewall and DNS.

I received this email from my web host yesterday and still don't understand what is causing the site's emailing errors...

Stuart Crittenden (Liquid Web)

Feb 15, 8:11 PM EST

Hello again,

I have been digging at this for a while now and have not been able to find anything that might be causing this socket to fail.

Zend Mailer is not something we support on our end so this may be something you will want your web developer to look into. It is possible that something needs to be updated within the Zend Mailer application itself or its configuration.

Best Regards,
Stuart C.
Linux System Administrator

I'm not familiar with Zend Mailer....is this something that is built into the forum software?

I resolved this by changing the bounce protocol by removing the encryption and changing the port accordingly to 110.
That's presumably not exactly the same error, as this is unrelated to bounce processing. This is failing when trying to make the SMTP connection.

I'm not familiar with Zend Mailer....is this something that is built into the forum software?
It's the package we use for sending the email and sort of referenced in the error message. However, the error is much lower level than that. It's from the basic call to PHP trying to open the socket.

Unfortunately the error returned is quite vague, so it could be a few different things. Firewalls and DNS are definite possibilities. Beyond that, there could be an issue with SSL within PHP. There's a mention of that here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...not-open-socket-in-zend-mail-zend-framework-2

It's unlikely to be an issue with the SSL certificate of your SMTP server as that does usually throw a different error, though if all the other possibilities have been eliminated, it may be worth checking that it's a valid certificate with a full "trusted" chain.

A final option would be to try a non-SSL based approach, at least as a test.

@Mike

Here's the response from my hosting company after I sent them your notes above...

Stuart Crittenden (Liquid Web)

Feb 16, 9:15 PM EST

Hello again,

I have found no issue with the DNS or the firewall. Is there a configuration page for this Zend Mailer so that I can check the settings on that. Please provide any links or login information to the Zend Mailer Configuration page so that I can see if there are any strange settings there.

Best Regards,
Stuart C.​

You can try this test script which should demonstrate the issue and potentially give a few additional details:

Code:
<?php

ini_set('display_errors', true);
var_dump(stream_socket_client('ssl://secure.emailsrvr.com:465'));

It should print any error received.

Top Bottom