Help with notices page criteria

cmeinck

I've set up a notice that should appear within a specific forum. If I use 'Page is Within Nodes', it also puts the notice in the sub-forum of the particular node I'm targeting.

Is there a way to show a notice in a forum node, but not in the subforum node?

Good point, actually, I don't think this is possible.

Nodes are nested so technically the subforum is a page within the forum node.

Likewise, if you targeted a category, then the notice would appear in all nodes within that category.

The only suggestion I can think of is by adding the notice as a template edit, but someone else might have better ideas.

Good point, actually, I don't think this is possible.

Nodes are nested so technically the subforum is a page within the forum node.

Likewise, if you targeted a category, then the notice would appear in all nodes within that category.

The only suggestion I can think of is by adding the notice as a template edit, but someone else might have better ideas.

I'm actually using your plugin. ;)

Yay!

Thanks.

Same deal, unfortunately. The criteria for Notices and my Notifications add-on is the same and works in the same way. As you can have a node within a node within a node etc. then targeting a notice or a notification to a node targets it to its child nodes too.

I've been thinking about extending the criteria in a future version of my add-on (which would by default extend Notices criteria too) so if I do, I'll make "Apply to selected node only" a criteria :)

Great, be sure to post in the Notifications add-on Discussion. It's really quite versatile so others who have it love seeing suggestions of how they could use it.

Also if you review it that'd be awesome :D

Also, any questions just ask.

Is there a way to show a notice in a forum node, but not in the subforum node?

Eventually if you want to target information to specific nodes use xf widget framework.
Insert:
Position: forum_view
Expression: $forum['node_id'] == 5 (if your forum is 5)

I have just tested, the widgets are not shown i subnodes. I know widgets are not the same as notices, but anyway...

Huuh, maybe, but how come that xf rock widgetframework can target widgets to specific nodes and not sub nodes ?

Eventually if you want to target information to specific nodes use xf widget framework.
Insert:
Position: forum_view
Expression: $forum['node_id'] == 5 (if your forum is 5)

I have just tested, the widgets are not shown i subnodes. I know widgets are not the same as notices, but anyway...
The difference is simple.

Widget Framework is explicitly targeting a specific node ID.

Notices targets a node and its children - as per the wording "pages within node". Something targeted to a category will display the notice in all pages within that node which would be all forums in that category and all sub forums in those forums.

You can't compare the functionality because they're two entirely different things.

Top Bottom