Help to setup Linode

ibaker

I would like to give Linode hosting a chance to see how my site would go however I am not a server admin person and know nothing about managing a server.

I don't suppose there is anyone out there that has knowledge and experience in Linode who would like manage my server for me...naturally I assume there would be a cost.

I would like to give Linode hosting a chance to see how my site would go however I am not a server admin person and know nothing about managing a server.

I don't suppose there is anyone out there that has knowledge and experience in Linode who would like manage my server for me...naturally I assume there would be a cost.

Its a strange request, is something wrong with your current host giving you a reason to transfer away from them? Especially as you admit you have no experience, would your money not be better spent leaving your hosting with a company who will fix the problem assuming you are on some sort of managed / shared hosting?

I would be able to set it up and get it going for you, as for cost im not sure, but are you sure this is the right move for you?

Thanks Mate...the reason is that my current site is 8 years old and was targeted to Australian users so my current server is a managed one located in Sydney Australia. The site has grown so much that it has basically outgrown Australia, it is the number 1 site in its subject by a HUGE margin in Australia, and I am getting more and more International visitors to the site but with the server in Australia there naturally is latency and users from say UK etc are saying the site is slow.

My thought was to move it to LA as a more central location to the world.

The short long story is that my site is saturated with Australian specific content which doesn't make it appealing to International visitors who register, look and then leave because after all, they are only interested in the non-Australian content as that doesn't relate to them at all. So, I will keep my current site where it is but would copy it to an LA server, rename it with a new domain, remove ALL the Australian specific content and run it as an International site. Once it builds up to a general International culture, I will then close my current site and direct the users to the International one which hopefully would already have the right culture that I want for my site.

I have tried many things to bring an International culture to my current site, separate forums for Australia and International, separate sites using country specific domains all linked together etc etc but content is king. So I need International content, International culture and a server (and server location) that is good for world wide.

It may not work but I thought of giving it a go and if it does work then my site would have the foundation to grow even further.

Of all the things to cause problems, this is one of the worst: Linode's Fremont, California location has had a number of issues over the past year. The datacenter has lost power multiple times and Linode is powerless to do anything about it as they are reseller and do not own the datacenter. A lot of people are moving out of that datacenter to one of the others that is more reliable.
I happen to run a VPS with an excellent managed host called WiredTree who is located in Chicago, Illinois. It's not exactly what you were looking for, but it might be worth taking a glance at. Here are some sites that run on my WiredTree VPS so that you can check out the latency:
http://www.thehelper.net
http://www.waywardinn.com
http://www.silkroadforums.com

If the latency is not too bad to those sites then it might be something to look into. If your site is small enough then I could probably even host it on my machine if you like for cheaper than getting your own. :)

Hope this helps.

Watching this thread, I also have to move an Aussie sites hosting due to its demand and were looking at Linode VPS
Sorry for the off topic but is it better for search engins if I keep the hosting within Australia ? (we only target Australia)

Thanks Ghan...I am getting an average of 228 m/s from me to your server. I tried WiredTree once before back in my vb days as they had Litespeed but I believe with no XF cache for Litespeed there currently isn't much benefit of Litespeed with XF so I was thinking of nginx...again not sure of the possible benefits of nginx and XF at the moment. I am currently paying $200 a month for a VPS with Litespeed, 4 cores at 3gig and 8gig of ram...when hammering the server I use just over 4gig but normal is 2.5gig ram use...I have RED5 Media Server also installed and run 123FlashChat Video/Audio/Text Chat Room plus 123WebMessenger for video/audio/text instant messenger between users on my site so the demand for my site isn't small

Brett, have you tried Host1...that is who I am with...fully managed but you don't get root access and I found them the cheapest for what I get

Hmm. With a load like that you are actually looking at a pretty big increase in cost to go to Linode. An 8 GB RAM Linode is over $300/month. A better option might be to check out a dedicated provider in Los Angeles called WebNX. They have really good deals on quality dedicated hardware. I have helped out a couple of people who run servers there and it is a great setup.
http://www.webnx.com/

They often have deal threads on Web Hosting Talk with some crazy deals:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1099382

For example, something like this:

e3-1230, 16gb ram, 4x 450gb 15,000 rpm sas w/ hardware raid 10 $249

That is a crazy awesome server for the price. Something cheaper might be this one:

Intel quad core q9550 (2.83ghz), 8gb ram, 1x 500gb hdd $99

Add another 500 GB HDD and make it RAID 1 for about $130 (you can contact them for an exact quote on upgrades).

i have tried many of the different linode locations and have found atlanta to be the most reliable.
gotvirtual.net is hosted on an atlanta linode 512.

Watching this thread, I also have to move an Aussie sites hosting due to its demand and were looking at Linode VPS
Sorry for the off topic but is it better for search engins if I keep the hosting within Australia ? (we only target Australia)
i am thinking it doesnt matter. i think it is more a function of the domain (.com.au) than anything else.

Cheers I shall have a look @Host1, As for you and linode.. It may be an idea to ask Floris nicely for advice or a link to advice, I could be mistaken but I think Floris may be helpful.

Just pick a Linode solution that fits the size of your board.
Find out via their support how to get APC running on it.
And enjoy posting on your site? ..

Top Bottom