Having a bit of a MESS HERE!

Peggy

Can ya tell I'm stressed?

ALl of a sudden this evening, our site started messing up. There are no controls on the wysiwyg editor, many posts have the html tags in them (i.e. <p>, </p>, etc), the moderator controls are visible (you are supposed to have to click on the little box to see them), and a few other things.

Our board is HAUNTED, I tell ya!

See screenies below.

wysiwyg.webp post.webp whats new.webp

WTH??? :eek:

OK. Maybe it has something to do with cut and pasting into posts?
I replied twice on the forum, then went to the above thread and got the error.

I also see no avatar for the original poster.
Cleared cache.
Forum looks OK.
Click on post above and now the page is not loading the CSS.
View attachment 10055

You sure its not a slow server, If it is intermittent it might explain it
I had the same symptoms for a short while due to a high server load

You sure its not a slow server, If it is intermittent it might explain it
I had the same symptoms for a short while due to a high server load
That certainly is possible, but I am not having any problems with my vb3 forum or the other 2 XF forums on the same server.
Although the other 2 forums get hardly any traffic.
It's a dedicated server. I don't have the specs in front of me but it really should handle it.

Mike strongly feels that the server is randomly failing to serve up existing files (like css.php).
So could very well be a server issue. We'll need to do a fresh install somewhere else on the domain to see if it happens there too.

ugh

default htaccess file installed.
I'll create another account on the same server.
Install the full package except for data and internal_data and edit the config file?

I created a new default style and it was actually worse.
I understand do a fresh install, but won't I loose my posts?

Steven, first move would be to try it on a development server before doing anything on the production one..

I would imagine xenForo is strong enough to note the existing files and not overwrite them, sort of an upgrade one would think. Please note haven't tried this myself on re-installing an existing version so could be wrong. Perhaps simply set your ftp program to overwrite files, do a load, and you should be fine.

Steven, first move would be to try it on a development server before doing anything on the production one.
Although setting up another section as development still share all the same resources.
JRTs do have a mind of their own. :)

I'll download a new upgrade package and ftp the files to the site instead of ftping the entire zip file and then let file manager unzip and move.
Still odd that I haven't seen any problems with my other 2 sites and I've installed and upgraded the exact same way.

The only thing I can think of, does XF store tmp files on the server?

I created a new default style and it was actually worse.
I understand do a fresh install, but won't I loose my posts?

If you upload a full installation, it will ask if you just want to upgrade or start fresh.
You can do two options:
  • Upgrade with a full installation files. Add back in any edits and/or mods.
  • Backup the database first, do a complete install, then reinstall the database. Add back in any edits and/or mods.
Really, the first option should take care of the problem. The only reason to do the second option, is if you were transporting the site from one place to the other. I do a backup prior to upgrades, updating anything, or having to reload webfiles (not really needed, but I do safer than sorry method).

All of the content is stored in the database (except for attachments and avatars) so you can safely overwrite all the files on the server except for /data and /internal_data.

You can even do a completely fresh install, replace the contents of those 2 directories and import your backed up database if you wish.

Any add-ons you may have will also have to be uploaded though.

As this is an going, recurrent problem then I personally think you're wasting your time on this particular server.

Top Bottom