Have you already forgotten vB.com?

Nope... I use so many different platforms, this will likely just become another one of them (favoured towards a few select one's). Unless this software can convert a vb4.x forum flawlessly, without any significant traffic lose or loss to users, then I wouldn't convert a heavily populated existing forum. User behaviour out-weights admin preferences. New set-ups, sure... conversion is another story.... still early days though. Wait and see I guess and see what they bring to the table with this software as a complete package.

I wouldn't convert drupal sites I have to joomla or vice versa. Forum users / any site that integrates user behaviour beyond reading, they become very used to and clicky with their site, and lets face it, your site becomes your users site. You screw with and they don't like it or simply aren't used to it, they bail quickly. Changing from vb3.x to vb4.x was not a massive shift, as 80% of the software was the same, so they had instant familiarly with it, only having to learn a few bits and pieces added upon it. Read most threads where an admin makes a decision to change platforms without really consulting their user base first, and its usually the same result, being a mass exodus.

Its a delicate balance to shift existing platforms and convert them compared to just starting off a new start-up using a different platform. I will absolutely buy one of these on release to use in a new start-up , which will gauge user behaviour to it. I will get existing users from my 4.x platforms who use it, and their feedback will gauge whether I would consider a major convert from an active forum or not. That stuff I don't know right now though, and will have to wait to see from experience and user feedback.

If I had absolutely positive user behaviour to a test install or new startup install, who also use 4.x, then I would absolutely develop a strategy to change. I got feedback from users on IPB vs. 4.x which they currently use, and the majority stated they would leave if I changed to IPB as they didn't like it. User feedback is everything compared to a bunch of admins all stating they like the product. I am impressed with what I see here, but I am an admin, not one of my users.

People are already complaining on vbulletin.com that we should not discuss other forum software on there, which to an extent is true, however as has been pointed out already, maybe if discussing vB over there wasn't such a one way conversation it wouldn't be an issue.

I shan't be overtly rude in this regard over there but there is an inextricable link between how bad vB4 is and the immediate popularity of this site and the exited interest in the software.

Walls of text! vBcom all over again! (jk)

Personally I haven't replied to the thread on vBulletin.com cos it'll end up deleted anyway.

If this has plenty of features that i like i will go with this instead of IP.Board. vBulletin is just a fail IMO now. I'm not gonna renew my license thats for sure.

Nope... I use so many different platforms, this will likely just become another one of them (favoured towards a few select one's). Unless this software can convert a vb4.x forum flawlessly, without any significant traffic lose or loss to users, then I wouldn't convert a heavily populated existing forum. User behaviour out-weights admin preferences. New set-ups, sure... conversion is another story.... still early days though. Wait and see I guess and see what they bring to the table with this software as a complete package.
Fully agree to that, xenforo is a nice beginning but it will need 1-2 years to reach maybe the same level feature wise of vb or ipb but the chances are good it could be later a new market leader. I think there are a lot of pissed off people now on the competitors side.

I don't think that it will need 1-2 years.

If kier and mike are not idiots (i don't think they are^^) the code is moderner then from vB4 ;) (Sad that we haven't more infos here)

Next point: It's the FIRST day where they presented the software and in sum it's a much better feedback they get as vB4.

I think there are a lot of pissed off people now on the competitors side.

I can only speak for myself, but I welcome some healthy competition. :) It keeps us on our toes which is only a good thing for everyone involved.

I've already Tweeted my congratulations to Kier, Mike and co. :)

It's well known to all (or should be) that Matt and his crew are world class and far above pettiness. IPB 3 is the Gold standard (deservedly so) and knocking them off that position would be a tremendous task. I expect XF to do nothing but help all software companies out there improve and when they do, we all benefit :)

Top Bottom