Guys whats your opinion on new gTlds like .blog?

avi

Some of the new tlds are available for sale now. Are they good in terms of SEO? Does domain extension play any part in SEO?

I specially interested in .onl, .blog, .xyz and .community domain extensions.

How do you guys compare these new tlds to .com or .net?

Some of the new tlds are available for sale now. Are they good in terms of SEO? Does domain extension play any part in SEO?

I specially interested in .onl, .blog, .xyz and .community domain extensions.

How do you guys compare these new tlds to .com or .net?

There has been official word by google engineers that google is weighing them the same as .com and .net, etc. The reason for this is because there are so many new ones coming out. So it really comes down to the site's content quality and the amount of work the person does, to increase their ranking, instead of google being picky.

I personally switched to a .zone domain for our main site.

It will be interesting to see if many will switch to .forum
I got myself a gtld for a new project. I am also getting some .reviews gtld's for xenreviews based websites.

I see no reason to ever use such a domain... really I think they should stop giving out anything but .com and the country TLDs. Just a way to make more money for domain registrars.

Why would you invest time and money in whatever.xyz when half the people will be going to whatever.com out of habiit?

I see no reason to ever use such a domain... really I think they should stop giving out anything but .com and the country TLDs. Just a way to make more money for domain registrars.

Why would you invest time and money in whatever.xyz when half the people will be going to whatever.com out of habiit?

Like everything in the world, change is difficult to get used to and in some cases to accept. Eventually, this .com only phase will be moved onto .<insert whatever>

Habits can change. If you are searching for something, what does it even matter what domain extension it's on? You are looking for a topic, right? You don't search for "passenger side mirror honda prelude 1989 .com", you simply search for "passenger side mirror honda prelude 1989". The rest is up to how you market your name as well as the content on your site.

Marketing?
Because SuperHeroes.Zone can make such a neat T-Shirt? Because it makes more sense than SuperHeroes.com?
Because .com was originally targeted at commercial enterprises but was *******ized into a catch all because it was "the in thing" and everybody and their momma wanted a DOT COM.
It's really a pity it can't be forced that the TLD's be used for what they were originally set up to be.

Marketing?

Because SuperHeroes.Zone can make such a neat T-Shirt? Because it makes more sense than SuperHeroes.com?
Because .com was originally targeted at commercial enterprises but was *******ized into a catch all because it was "the in thing" and everybody and their momma wanted a DOT COM.
It's really a pity it can't be forced that the TLD's be used for what they were originally set up to be.

You put SuperHeroes.Zone on a T-Shirt and I bet 50%+ of the population doesn't even know they're looking at a website address. Not unless you add http:// in front of it. SuoerHeroes.com is no doubt takem but SuperHeroesZone.com is immediately racognized as a website address by 99% of the population.

I am nut sure, if I really like this new ones. But. hey. I build my first website in the late 90s with frames.

So, if we and afterwards the publicity recognize them, they'll be great. Let me be the first, who grabs one.

I would buy a .blog if it comes at the same rate as a .com domain. Also it will be good to have an option own a domain name whose other TLDs are already occupied.

No, especially when they come with a massive premium price.
No they dont :/ Most are <$20, it's just some registrars (GoDaddy, NameCheap, Gandi to name a few) are slapping their own premium markup on top. Check out the registry prices, then find a registrar with the lowest markup. The registry price is not (and never has been) published on the domain registrars site. As an example the registry price for a .NET is only $5.11 + ICANN fee, yet some places sell it for significantly more, often matching .COM which has a registry price of $7.85 - both of these are due to increase slightly within the next few months once again.

A huge number of them are damn cheap. In any case pricing them the same as a .com would be a critical mistake.

Last edited:
Like everything in the world, change is difficult to get used to and in some cases to accept. Eventually, this .com only phase will be moved onto .<insert whatever>

Habits can change. If you are searching for something, what does it even matter what domain extension it's on? You are looking for a topic, right? You don't search for "passenger side mirror honda prelude 1989 .com", you simply search for "passenger side mirror honda prelude 1989". The rest is up to how you market your name as well as the content on your site.
Bingo.

People really dont get it when it comes to this change. It was done because .COM is:

A) A crap, meaningless extension
B) Extremely over saturated, mainly with large domain portfolio companies snapping up every domain they can.

By moving to a much more diluted range of extensions it stops this need to own the .com, or at least it will do, over time.

Oh and .coms will be going up in price. They already are allowed to do an annual increase, and ICANN confirmed some time ago that once the new gTLD's were up and running they'd review the Verisign contract and allow greater increases. Expect .com's to retail up at the ~$20 to $30 mark within the next few years.

I was going to buy liam.ninja, because who doesn't want a domain name of their name?

It just went way to quickly.

I think if they would had done this along time ago it may have caught on. But I think we are to set in the .com world now. Now one is going to remember all the new extensions and they will still be typing in whateveryourwebsiteis.com and wondering why it's not working or being re-directed to a different site all together. I mean I don't even see people using .net anymore, everything is .com and people are too set in their ways. A good idea but way to late.

I think if they would had done this along time ago it may have caught on. But I think we are to set in the .com world now. Now one is going to remember all the new extensions and they will still be typing in whateveryourwebsiteis.com and wondering why it's not working or being re-directed to a different site all together. I mean I don't even see people using .net anymore, everything is .com and people are too set in their ways. A good idea but way to late.
Nonsense. The internet is EXTREMELY young. It'd be like saying back in 2008 "Streaming music will never catch on, people are too set in their ways with buying direct from iTunes".

Top Bottom