Fixed Guests Accumulating

gamecock

Current Visitors logic seems to not work. It is accumulating Guests as logged in user navigates site... or either there are guests doing exactly what I am doing :)

Facebook does create guests via the recommend button, but it shouldn't necessarily "accumulate". It really depends how many IPs they have/use.

Can you dump the data in the xf_session_activity table when this happens?

You have some outdated templates.

Click on Appearance -> Outdated Templates

Revert any which are outdated; you will need to re-apply any changes or edits made to them previously.

Do the same for any phrases.

<h1>SQL result</h1>
<p>
<strong>Host:</strong> localhost<br />
<strong>Database:</strong> ifootbal_xenforo<br />
<strong>Generation Time:</strong> Feb 05, 2011 at 09:38 AM<br />
<strong>Generated by:</strong> phpMyAdmin&nbsp;3.3.8.1&nbsp;/ MySQL&nbsp;5.1.47-community-log<br />
<strong>SQL query:</strong> SELECT * FROM `xf_session_activity`
LIMIT 0, 30 ;
<br />
<strong>Rows:</strong> 4 </p>

<table id="table_results" class="data">
<thead><tr>
<th>user_id
</th><th>unique_key
</th><th>ip
</th><th>controller_name
</th><th>controller_action
</th><th>view_state
</th><th>params
</th><th>view_date
</th></tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
<tr class="odd">
<td align="right" class=" nowrap">0</td>
<td align="right" class=" nowrap">416494439</td>
<td class="">XenForo_ControllerPublic_Forum</td>
<td class="">Index</td>
<td class="">valid</td>
<td class="">node_name=big12news</td>
<td align="right" class=" nowrap">1296921588</td>
</tr>

<tr class="even">
<td align="right" class=" nowrap">1121752055</td>
<td align="right" class=" nowrap">1121752055</td>
<td class="">XenForo_ControllerPublic_Thread</td>
<td class="">Index</td>
<td class="">valid</td>
<td class="">thread_id=5524</td>
<td align="right" class=" nowrap">1296922065</td>
</tr>

<tr class="odd">
<td align="right" class=" nowrap">1121752054</td>
<td align="right" class=" nowrap">1121752054</td>
<td class="">XenForo_ControllerPublic_Thread</td>
<td class="">Index</td>
<td class="">valid</td>
<td class="">thread_id=5235</td>
<td align="right" class=" nowrap">1296921976</td>
</tr>

<tr class="even">
<td align="right" class=" nowrap">1</td>
<td align="right" class=" nowrap">1</td>
<td class="">XenForo_ControllerPublic_Index</td>
<td class="">Index</td>
<td class="">valid</td>
<td class="">&nbsp;</td>
<td align="right" class=" nowrap">1296923763</td>
</tr>

</tbody>
</table>

I don't think it is related to facebook. Rather the bug appears to be that even though I am a 'logged in' member, it periodically decides may activity should be accounted for as a 'guest'.

You have some outdated templates.

Click on Appearance -> Outdated Templates

Revert any which are outdated; you will need to re-apply any changes or edits made to them previously.

Do the same for any phrases.

Does this mean a template I previously modified was changed in the upgrade? Keep in mind I am new to php/forum tech etc. Looking at the thing as you suggested it appears it was changed in the add-on I have to close/open categories. Which should be in the core anyway.

I am from the US so I have a lot of opinions. :)

Does this mean a template I previously modified was changed in the upgrade?
That's exactly what it means :)

Your outdated templates are from the previous build so to get your installation up to the current level, you will need to revert them to apply any changes from the previous release and then re-apply your own edits.

Any templates which you have edited but which weren't changed in the latest release won't appear as outdated and can be left as they are.

When I worked for Big Blue, our affiliate UK office was mostly empty through summer. In August, you could not get anybody to answer the phone! You boys taking the summer off...

Hurry up with this thing. hahahah

I am using XF RC 2, no templates. RC2 is my first and only install, so there are no upgrade issues. I discovered a bug with the forum Guest count which will occur when a member is logged into Facebook.

My forums are not public as of yet. When I began working on my forums an hour ago I could account for the 3 Members online which showed in the Members Online Now module. There were no guests online. I read a forum thread and noticed there was 1 Guest online. I read another thread, then noticed 2 Guests online. After I read the third thread I noticed three Guests online. I stopped and looked at the Members --> Current Visitors section. I noticed the 3 Guests just read the same 3 threads I did, and all from basically the same IP.

Next I read a fourth thread and bam, a 4th Guest appeared logged into the forums. The Current Visitors section showed that Guest as reading the same thread I just selected. I did an IP check and the IP belonged to Facebook. It seems if a member is logged into Facebook, then a phantom Guest account appears for each and every thread the member views.

Below is a screenshot of my Current Visitors tab.

View attachment 11416
moz-screenshot-1.png

I am not certain if this issue is related to the bot/crawler issue reported in the below thread or not. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/hide-bots-online.12322/

It's beyond the scope of XenForo 1.1 to fix this, as we currently treat robots the same as other guests. However, a framework is in place to resolve this in the future, and we will do so for XenForo 1.1.

Am I reading this right when you say "It's beyond the scope of XenForo 1.1 to fix this" that you actually mean "It's beyond the scope of XenForo 1.0 to fix this"

It's beyond the scope of XenForo 1.1 to fix this, as we currently treat robots the same as other guests. However, a framework is in place to resolve this in the future, and we will do so for XenForo 1.1.
So if I am reading that right we will be able to have xf distinguish between robots and guests? Giving us the ability to say hide posts from guests but keep it open to the bots?

So if I am reading that right we will be able to have xf distinguish between robots and guests? Giving us the ability to say hide posts from guests but keep it open to the bots?
That's known as cloaking and something Google frowns on.

Cloaking refers to the practice of presenting different content or URLs to users and search engines. Serving up different results based on a user-agent may cause your site to be perceived as deceptive and removed from the Google index.

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=66355

Top Bottom