Guest voting in polls

Reposting here:

Coming from vB where we also included forum polls on our site pages for more exposure and allowed everyone to vote, we've had hundreds of votes in every poll. After moving to XF, where only registered users can vote in polls, our polls fell into complete disuse as so few people are voting on them now that it's not worth creating them. As with many communities, the majority of our user base is passive readers and users of our content and as such not registered on our forums and consequently ineligible to vote in the polls.

I understand that not requiring registration for voting on the polls can mean that a certain number of votes might not be legitimate, but I also believe that with the far larger accessibility of the polls to all of our site's visitors this would be self-corrected to a large degree. None of our polls are deciding on Brexit, so accessibility is of far more importance to us.

So could we get the option to allow unregistered poll votes too, please? Anyone who doesn't want it can just keep requiring registration to vote.

As long this is not possible, the permission for guests voting on polls should be removed or at least provided with a comment that this permission has no effect.

The user group also applies to registered members with unconfirmed status, who are allowed to vote in polls if the permission is set to yes.

I also set guests to be able to vote in polls couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work.

Great way to bring people in, they vote and then want to comment on their vote.

Ah, I came to see if I actually made a bad permission somewhere. Why even have the option in the permissions to let guests vote on polls when it actually doesn't work? I would love to have guests vote on polls. I run an art forum, so it would be really helpful if we could get some outside input on contests.

Why even have the option in the permissions to let guests vote on polls when it actually doesn't work?
Because the permissions also apply to registered users who have not confirmed their account, hence why the group name is Unregistered / Unconfirmed.

It seems that if they are both in the same group, then they should have the same permissions. If unconfirmed members can vote, then I don't see why guests can't.

I have seen forums (an old one that I used to have before xenforo) that allow voting based on cookies for guests. I know that could result in "cheating" or something of the such. I guess it's not a huge deal, but it would be nice to have as an option.

Because guests don't have a user ID, which is required for voting on polls.
Couldn't this be achieved by connecting their vote to their IP address for guests? I'd like to use polls on my site but I can't unless they're a member. So I'm back to square one of using polls elsewhere like on Twitter or Discord instead of using my XF site.

I'm glad I found this thread. I had set the permissions correctly, yet I couldn't understand why guests couldn't vote on polls. It wasn't working for the guest user group.

Top Bottom