Group Promotions Conditions

Lee

I'm playing with the conditions of group promotions, but can't seem to get them working.

What I am looking to do is this:

1. User signs up
  2. User placed in Registered Members group, as currently happens
  3. User Posts in a forum where permission grants, in this case "introduction forum".
  4. User is promoted to Approved Members, which happens automatically when point 3 occurs.
I am sure this is possible using usergroup promotions, but I cant seem to get it to work. How do they work?
I have the promotion settings like this, but it doesn't seem to work at all.
ss1.webp and ss2.webp
Any help please?

Whooops, meant to post this in support. Can someone move it please?

/mistake

That should work.

The User Group Promotions occur once every hour.

You can trigger it manually by running the User Group Promotions CronEntry.

Ahhh, is there a way to edit the amount of time that specific cron takes to run?

Yeah, you can edit it in Admin CP > Tools > Cron Entries > User Group Promotion.

It runs at 20 minutes past the hour. You can select multiple times. So you could have it run at 10, 20, 30, 40 minutes etc.

Sweet.

That works now, but it adds the group as a secondary user group. What I really want to do is upgrade the primary group. Is this possible?

No, that isn't possible, unfortunately.

Nor should it be necessary. A secondary group should enable you to do everything you need.

Secondary group permissions over-ride the primary group ones right?

So if primary group A cannot access forum A but secondary group B can - a user in both groups can access forum A?

Because of the layered nature of permissions in XF the primary and secondary memberships are less important - however since pretty much everyone (by default) becomes a member of the primary group, I still prefer to make the primary group the one with the least possibly privs - the very base permissions I would want any active account to have - and then use the secondary (along with group promotions) to build on that to "add" to people's permissions on my sites.

I'm not sure if that's how other people use them, but it works for me.

Also, in terms of understanding how groups work in XF - think of the permissions a punch cards with holes in for someone having that permissions - then lay them one on top of the other - and if light can get through all of the cards, then the person has that permission (one of these days I'm going to have to put together a visual to go with this - it'll make it "click" so much more quickly!! ;) ).

I find that as Clickinfinity said, it is best to give the least amount of permissions to registered as you have to, and then create usergroups which each adding one ability or permission. As a person pulls more weight, you add them to more secondary groups.

Everything is very simple to manage and change things around down the road that way if you so end up with the need to.

the very base permissions I would want any active account to have - and then use the secondary (along with group promotions) to build on that to "add" to people's permissions on my sites.

I'm not sure if that's how other people use them, but it works for me.

Yes, but I extend that even a little further and I consider my base/registered usergroup as inactive users (ie. they have a username, but are brand new or do not participate in the forum) and have a usergroup promotion that add's them to an active/validated usergroup once they have been registered x days AND have x trophy points (earn't by posts and/or profile completion)

Top Bottom