1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As Designed Gravatar Avatars Display as 200 by 200 Regardless of Size

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Amaury, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

I realize this may be an "issue" on Gravatar's side, but the last and only other time I reported a Gravatar issue, it actually turned out to be something on XenForo's side, so we'll see with this. :)

Here's the file for my current avatar:

Paulette.png

The dimensions are 108 by 113. However, it seems that when uploaded via Gravatar, the dimensions are always 200 by 200 regardless of the original size. I only just now noticed this because this and last week's avatar were the first time I haven't used avatars of 200 by 200 in a long time.

Uploaded on Gravatar: 200 by 200

Uploaded Locally: 108 by 113 (actual size)

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Gravatar upscales and crops the avatar to various sizes as a square.

We do the same for the 'small' and 'medium' sizes. For the 'large' size we maintain the aspect ratio and we do not upscale it. As well as serving as a more appropriate image to display on the user profile, it also serves as being the "original" image which we can allow you to crop from so if you upload a landscape avatar, you can choose which portion of that avatar is displayed at the medium and small sizes.

Amaury likes this.
  3. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

That makes perfect sense, Chris! :)