Not planned Graphics Development Kit (GDK).

Shelley

Please Please Please when releasing the gdk (graphic development Kit) have all the images that make up the product reside on one PSD image. Sliced so that members can save all images in one click. Being .png they won't have to be saved in a specific matte (which was a gif grievance) but if they are re-colouring the images it makes sense to re-colour and save out in one click rather than multiple saving which takes a lifetime.

I recommended this to vbulletin and ignored resulting in them making a total hash of the gdk, please don't make the same mistake. Thanks for listening.

Upvote 8
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Only some of use don't use software that supports PSD's.

If i could get a response from the devs. What source format will you be providing? Judging by peggy's response I'm assuming either another source format or providing just the pngs? Sorry, I just assumed the format of choice for the source files would be PSDs

PSDs seem like an acceptable format. I believe Gimp is able to open them so there is a free alternative to Photoshop.

Gimp can open PSD's but doesn't read the splice marks so wouldn't work as Shelly suggests, the only reliable way to open a PSD in with Photoshop and I run on linux and Photoshop under Wine is NOT fun.

I don't know what the plan for a GDK is yet. You'll note that we use very few images of our own anyway.

All our graphics are produced in Photoshop except the smilies and the logo, which are Illustrator files, so the masters are .psd or .ai currently.

Supplying them as a single sliced sheet is an interesting idea that I had not considered before... if anyone fancies pointing me in the right direction as to how to do it?

I'd also like to point out that XenForo is extremely light on image use. If you look at our usage in Firebug or something similar you'lll see that these pages barely contain any images at all :)

Which, I'm sure, is why the site loads so quickly. And just look at how attractive it is with so few images!

XenForo is indeed light and fast. Also a good idea about the one PSD that contain all the images. +1 for that.

All our graphics are produced in Photoshop except the smilies and the logo, which are Illustrator files, so the masters are .psd or .ai currently.

Supplying them as a single sliced sheet is an interesting idea that I had not considered before... if anyone fancies pointing me in the right direction as to how to do it?

I'd also like to point out that XenForo is extremely light on image use. If you look at our usage in Firebug or something similar you'lll see that these pages barely contain any images at all :)

The process is prity simple and that is to create a new file in photoshop. Transfer existing files over to the new psd and grouping them where necessary afterwhich all graphics are moved to the 1 PSD slice each image (which may contain multiple layers) and name them appropriately. Seeing as the product in general is prity much lite on graphics the psd file would should be relatively small in KB.

Get a blank PSD set up that you would like to drop them all in, then open up each PSD individually. Then on the layers area, right click the blank area next to the layer name and select duplicate layer. There's a drop-down box on the duplication window that lets you duplicate into the other PSD. This will carry over its custom style and such.

What would the GDK look like? It would be mostly transparent gradients and things I would think. Yes, I agree that it would be useful to have them all in one PSD. But I also think you'll find that you can do a lot of visual customizations with only CSS. You might not even need the GDK. :)

I actually had a play around last night. Using just a static dump of the homepage, messing around with the CSS it seemed very easy to get it looking pretty customised. It was a bit hard to find tuff though as the CSS is very messy at the moment.

I actually had a play around last night. Using just a static dump of the homepage, messing around with the CSS it seemed very easy to get it looking pretty customised. It was a bit hard to find tuff though as the CSS is very messy at the moment.

Firebug. :)

The CSS will get some clean-up, but bear in mind that there is a lot of stuff to style when there is no styling whatsoever in the HTML and you have a whole application to lay out.

I'm not much of a graphics kinda guy, but will having them all on one PSD make them harder or easier to change? Would I have to slice the graphics out of the PSD or can I save each graphic individually (assuming this is the way we're going with XF...)?

Top Bottom