Not planned Graphics Development Kit (GDK).

Shelley

Please Please Please when releasing the gdk (graphic development Kit) have all the images that make up the product reside on one PSD image. Sliced so that members can save all images in one click. Being .png they won't have to be saved in a specific matte (which was a gif grievance) but if they are re-colouring the images it makes sense to re-colour and save out in one click rather than multiple saving which takes a lifetime.

I recommended this to vbulletin and ignored resulting in them making a total hash of the gdk, please don't make the same mistake. Thanks for listening.

Upvote 8
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
The less images the better as far as I'm concerned.

Images are always a pain when doing a custom design for people like me who have the graphic skills of an untrained monkey.

Plus I only have PSP X2 and I'm not sure if that supports PSD or not, if I even knew what a PSD is :D

Wouldn't make them harder to change they would be grouped up accordingly making it easier. The psd image would and should be sliced already and each slice named (easy task) so the customer can save in one click and then upload the images to their server (if they did colour changes). It's really making it more efficient and less time consuming.

So if we wanted to, for example, change every smiley to a blue colour we can just make the edits and export for web and all of the images would export automatically?

I'd much prefer that method, then. Especially considering I have no graphic skills whatsoever.

You would be able to make each colour change. The benefit would be you will be able to (say 12 smilies) after colour alterations save them with one click rather than saving them out individually. The slices would be already in place and already titled so it would be a simple task of uploading and overwriting to your server. They would be the same title and same sizes as the original because that will be the predefined settings of the slices.

What I'll do is create a thread for those not savy in graphics and type up some documentation/tips and test sliced PSDs so people can get the knack of it all before the software goes live. It's such an easy process just a shame alot of people feel daunted by it when they shouldn't. :)

What I'll do is create a thread for those not savy in graphics and type up some documentation/tips and test sliced PSDs so people can get the knack of it all before the software goes live. It's such an easy process just a shame alot of people feel daunted by it when they shouldn't. :)
I love you more already ;)

Thanks Shelley. +REP.. owait it's not here ;) (great vB reference)

Infact, had an idea of creating gdks in various source formats such as PSP and maybe some others I can't remember. BTW, that's a suggestion, it wouldn't eliminate those that don't use photoshop but using other software.

Here's a brief example I knocked up from a previous psd i created. You'll notice the image icons have been sliced but looking closer you'll also notice that the "cool" icon has been selected to the left of this is the info box telling you the sizes and title (highlighted in red). this goes for every icon on this psd (left of the info box) and you would simply (after alterations) go to file, save for web click save voila 1 second saving instead of saving each indivdual icon out which would take you much much much longer. (Mockup Below)

Attachments

• gdkexample.webp
    gdkexample.webp
    87 KB · Views: 36
All at once colour alteration, no. I mean, if it was constructed in the way of a mask overlay this would be possible but not practical. Because making direct colour changes within a psd using the modes (blending modes available to you) only retains quality. You start going down the path of using overlayed colour alterations and you'll loose colour quality. It all depends how the devs have construct the graphics but it's certainly possible.

Can you just explain what "sliced" means?

It just essentially means that all of the images are contained within one file, and there are certain "slice" areas that are defined so you can go to File > Save for Web and it will export all of the images out individually, perfectly sized and cropped. Think of drawing a bunch of drawings on a single piece of paper and then cutting them out to get individual images. It's essentially the same thing, but digital. It's really a time-saving technique. :)

I gave it a go because I was interested in how it was done and I also wondered if there was any way I could also make it easier to edit colours without manually editing the image at the same time.

Hope I've done it correctly for exporting, Photoshop isn't my day job just a hobby!

Here is the finished PSD file. Had to upload it elsewhere as this forum does not allow 4.4 MB files to be attached to posts. (please don't share the link outside this forum, it's my own web space with finite bandwidth.)

Things to note about this file.

• I did not include every single image the default XF style uses, I didn't imagine anyone would want to edit the colour swatch for example.

• images that come as a single image that contains multiple images (I assume they are placed with the CSS position technique) have been kept as a single slice so it remains a single image when exported.

• The images are not grouped into folders in the layers panel, but were imported one folder at a time, so can probably be grouped by someone else easily enough if needed as they will still be in order.

• Each image is on a separate layer for easy separate editing.

• At the bottom of the layers list, there is a layer of solid 50% grey I used to see the semi transparent images better while working with them. It's hidden by default. Make sure it's hidden or deleted before you export for web or you will get grey backgrounds in your images!

• I didn't include the old beta smilies, sorry. I don't plan on adding them either.

• Each layer is a smart object. This means double click it's thumbnail in the layers pannel to edit each image separately then use File> Save and the original image will update with your changes automatically. (You don't need to do this for changing colours like I show below, only if you want to manually edit the image in some way.)
When you are done editing, to export your images click on:

File > Save for Web & Devices
You will get a preview windows giving you various options to optimize the images, how many colours they will use each etc. when happy with the preview just click Done.

Changing colors:

Every layer/image in this PSD file has a hue/saturation adjustment layer tied to it. (they appear above each layer/image in the layers panel.) This is so you can alter the colour of the image easily if desired. These adjustment layers do nothing in the file by default encase you don't want to change the colour. (See below for how to activate and use them)

Open the PSD file in photoshop and make sure you have both the layers panel and adjustment panel visible to you. (go to the Window menu at the top and tick them if not.)

In the layers panel, find the image you want to change the colour of. All the layers have the same names as the original XF file name for the image in question. You can use the hue/saturation layer to colorize the layer. (it is set up to only apply to that layer)

Example/How to:

In this example I'll use the smiley with the big grin.

Find the 'biggrin' layer and click on the Hue/Saturation layer directly above it.

example1.webp

In the Adjustments panel, tick the Colorize box then move the 3 sliders at the top to any position you like to get the colour you want. Here I made it purple!
example2.webp

This is not the perfect solution because it only really works with images that generally involve multiple shades of a single colour. (such as most of the smilies) If the images have multiple colours in them you can still do this, but you can't change the colours separately, only all together.

Ps: If it's any use for it, Kier is free to use anything from this PSD for his own kit if/when it gets done.

I agree this is a great idea. I also think that it may be a pain though selecting images to be a .png or a .jpg etc when saving. Maybe have all PNG images in one PSD and all JPG images in a separate PSD?

*looks in style folder at image extensions*

Nevermind there is only 1 image that is not png.. :ROFLMAO:
colorpicker.jpg is the only non png file (that i noticed).

So I agree with Shelley now, it would be useful if everything was in the same folder.

in an ideal world xf would make full use of sprites and the psd wouldnt need to be sliced at all.
also a great opportunity to point out that the decision to colour quicknav.png blue is questionable as it requires a recolour anytime a themes colour properties are altered.

Eitherway, when some kind of gdk is released it'll be less time consuming to modify imagery than any other forum software has offered it's customers. I can only speak personally for the smiley .psd and it'll be best suited being sliced on 1 psd. Each smiley consists of 10 layers, which gives the end user to customise everything, when I say everything I'm referring to colour changes to the base image, mouth, eyes and when the user is happy with their colour alterations they have the option to one click save 20+ smilies in .png format.

The main problem I see with Anseurs colouring technique is that it's not a direct colour change, your overlaying the saturation and hue layer over the image effectively your overlaying colour over the mouth, eyes which cause undesirable colour shifts. With the .psd (when made available) you can one click colour change the base and only the base will be modified, same with the eye border (strokes) so your getting vibrant, acceptable colour changes the correct way.

The hue and saturation way of colouring smilies or any graphic for that matter, is imo, a cheap and dirty way which I hope I eliminated by providing the psd and giving members the ability to re-colour every single element. In short, it get's far better results modifying directly from the psd, vectored layers producing high quality visual top notch colour.

Top Bottom