Google to launch "No-CAPTCHA" reCAPTCHA

AlexT

It was in beta testing for a while, but now it seems to go public soon.

https://www.google.com/recaptcha/intro/comingsoon/index.html

No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA: An upgrade to the existing reCAPTCHA API you currently use on your site. This new API will let your valid users directly bypass the CAPTCHA test with just a single click while providing stronger security to your site. We call this the “No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA” experience. We expect to move all existing reCAPTCHA sites to the new API in 2015. We would like to invite you to be an early adopter of this new enhanced API before it becomes widely available.

Here is a link of a beta:

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api2/demo

As for reCaptcha alternatives, what do you think about this one: http://random.irb.hr/signup.php ;)

Yep, I think I'll make this my new captcha of choice:

9ffdce079e033ea4f0a63243465d5c2d.gif

No CAPTCHA looks interesting, though. It solves the problem that make most people hate CAPTCHAs. It's just a click. We'll just have to see how quickly it becomes crackable.

Can't spambots just fake the click by mouse marcos?

I think I'll use this one, easier for high school students :p

4c7fef2f5a2de007dcc46436276e7d19.gif

Looks good to me. Is it possible they are integrating browser/mobile/google id verification into recaptcha?

I think there is nothing to do for XenForo.

The new (no) recaptcha will be used automatically if you have recaptcha enabled at your website.

No, there are some API differences and you need to generate a specific API key if you want to use it. We're investigating it, but it isn't something that could be used without you taking a step (getting an API key).

Yeah, the migration to the new reCAPTCHA is certainly not going to be automatic for anyone in its current form.

It requires different API keys (a different type of API key than what is built in to the existing reCAPTCHA implementation), client side markup and new JS to be included, also the response from that and the API requests are sent to a different endpoint with different parameters and responses sent back so it requires additional code, also.

We're not against the idea of it being included in XenForo in addition to the old style reCAPTCHA in the future, though. As Mike says, we're investigating it :)

Last edited:
Already got the new API keys, ready to be used on the forums.
It looks like you can use one API key for many domains you own.

Yeah, the migration to the new reCAPTCHA is certainly not going to be automatic for anyone in its current form.

It requires different API keys (a different type of API key than what is built in to the existing reCAPTCHA implementation), client side markup and new JS to be included, also the response from that and the API requests are sent to a different endpoint with different parameters and responses sent back so it requires additional code, also.

We're not against the idea of it being included in XenForo in addition to the old style reCAPTCHA in the future, though. As Mike says, we're investigating it :)

The real question is if its any good.

Its not a secret that reCaptcha before this new update was not the greatest thing in the world.

There is a suggestion open in the Suggestions forum which has suggested the implementation of No CAPTCHA. We did a bit of work on this yesterday and today and the end result is now in testing here at XenForo.com:

Just to let you all know, we are currently testing No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA here. Feel free to test it, but for obvious reasons please don't necessarily complete registrations. We use a custom contact form so registration is currently the only way to see it in action here.

There is a suggestion open in the Suggestions forum which has suggested the implementation of No CAPTCHA. We did a bit of work on this yesterday and today and the end result is now in testing here at XenForo.com:

I hope you guys release a patch so we can use this. I'd like to give it a try.

If it gets better at detecting humans and ends up being more "No CAPTCHA" and less "reCAPTCHA" and it actually manages to keep the bots out, then it's a good option for a CAPTCHA.

But, bear in mind, it's just going to be one option amongst many that already exist in XenForo. People should judge for themselves if it is effective for their site. It may work for some, for others, they may prefer something different.

Top Bottom