1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google to launch "No-CAPTCHA" reCAPTCHA

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by AlexT, Nov 25, 2014.

1. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

It was in beta testing for a while, but now it seems to go public soon.

No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA: An upgrade to the existing reCAPTCHA API you currently use on your site. This new API will let your valid users directly bypass the CAPTCHA test with just a single click while providing stronger security to your site. We call this the “No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA” experience. We expect to move all existing reCAPTCHA sites to the new API in 2015. We would like to invite you to be an early adopter of this new enhanced API before it becomes widely available.

Here is a link of a beta:

As for reCaptcha alternatives, what do you think about this one: http://random.irb.hr/signup.php ;)
    QA-Tester and kontrabass like this.
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yep, I think I'll make this my new captcha of choice:

No CAPTCHA looks interesting, though. It solves the problem that make most people hate CAPTCHAs. It's just a click. We'll just have to see how quickly it becomes crackable.
    Shawn Gossman, Jeffin and tyteen4a03 like this.
  3. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

Mr. Goodie2Shoes Well-Known Member

interesting... I wonder how they achieve that... there are some bots that can execute javascripts... right?
  4. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

Can't spambots just fake the click by mouse marcos?

I think I'll use this one, easier for high school students :p

5. Jeffin

Jeffin Well-Known Member

Looks good to me. Is it possible they are integrating browser/mobile/google id verification into recaptcha?
  6. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

Mr. Goodie2Shoes Well-Known Member

Possible... and maybe they found some other method to separate the invalid clicks...
  7. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

8. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

I think there is nothing to do for XenForo.

The new (no) recaptcha will be used automatically if you have recaptcha enabled at your website.
  9. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

No, there are some API differences and you need to generate a specific API key if you want to use it. We're investigating it, but it isn't something that could be used without you taking a step (getting an API key).
    Craig, Puntocom, Jeremy P and 2 others like this.
  10. Chris D

Yeah, the migration to the new reCAPTCHA is certainly not going to be automatic for anyone in its current form.

It requires different API keys (a different type of API key than what is built in to the existing reCAPTCHA implementation), client side markup and new JS to be included, also the response from that and the API requests are sent to a different endpoint with different parameters and responses sent back so it requires additional code, also.

We're not against the idea of it being included in XenForo in addition to the old style reCAPTCHA in the future, though. As Mike says, we're investigating it :)
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    Aangiix3, Craig and Andy.N like this.
  11. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Already got the new API keys, ready to be used on the forums.
    It looks like you can use one API key for many domains you own.
  12. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard Well-Known Member

The real question is if its any good.

Its not a secret that reCaptcha before this new update was not the greatest thing in the world.
  13. Chris D

We shall see ;)
  14. Chris D

There is a suggestion open in the Suggestions forum which has suggested the implementation of No CAPTCHA. We did a bit of work on this yesterday and today and the end result is now in testing here at XenForo.com:

kontrabass likes this.
  15. ekool

ekool Member

I hope you guys release a patch so we can use this. I'd like to give it a try.
  16. Chris D

The current plan is it will be available in XenForo 1.4.4.
  17. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard Well-Known Member

What do you personally think of it though?
  18. Chris D

If it gets better at detecting humans and ends up being more "No CAPTCHA" and less "reCAPTCHA" and it actually manages to keep the bots out, then it's a good option for a CAPTCHA.

But, bear in mind, it's just going to be one option amongst many that already exist in XenForo. People should judge for themselves if it is effective for their site. It may work for some, for others, they may prefer something different.
  19. Mike Creuzer

Mike Creuzer Well-Known Member

Has anyone built this yet?
  20. Chris D

tyteen4a03 likes this.