Google Maps for iPhone Released

ENF

If you had been waiting for this, it's now available from the Apple App store to download for free.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-maps/id585027354?mt=8

gm-4s.webp

So far, so good.

The Apple Maps version that comes with iOS6+ --- is terrible in Japan. Google Maps is much more detailed and accurate when it comes to navigating around Japan.

This new version also runs more smoothly than the built-in Google Maps with iOS5. Feels much more responsive anyway...

So now iOS users have a version of Google Maps that matches Android. And Apple doesn't have to pay Google any money for access to the mapping data, they don't have to hand over any customer data (that Google wanted) and they don't have to maintain the App. Plus, Google has to abide by the same rules all App developers do since this is just another App, which puts limits on what info Google has access to you.

All the "sticking points" that we're there between Apple and Gogle have now been removed in apple's favor. If I didn't know better I'd say this was a ploy bybApple to force Google's hand.

So now iOS users have a version of Google Maps that matches Android. And Apple doesn't have to pay Google any money for access to the mapping data, they don't have to hand over any customer data (that Google wanted) and they don't have to maintain the App. Plus, Google has to abide by the same rules all App developers do since this is just another App, which puts limits on what info Google has access to you.

All the "sticking points" that we're there between Apple and Gogle have now been removed in apple's favor. If I didn't know better I'd say this was a ploy bybApple to force Google's hand.

That's an interesting perspective, but perhaps I'm not cynical enough to think this really was a ploy? I think Apple could live without the brand tarnish from the Maps app (mostly, the errors in the data). It's becoming a running joke against the platform and a bit of a PR nightmare as park and police officials warn people not to depend on it. They also spent billions to acquire two mapping companies and developing the new Maps app. They probably didn't plan on a third party app coming in and plunking theirs down.

I just think they miscalculated. Mobile devices are becoming small glass windows to cloud services, most of which crunch large data sets to get you quick, meaningful and accurate answers. With Maps and Siri, I think Apple has showed that they don't yet have the competency here that they've enjoyed with hardware and interface. They'll get better, but I'd argue the game has moved to play more to Google's advantage.

But as you pointed out, as a third party app, Google Maps isn't a total solution (iOS has no true equivalent to Android's intents system). Tapping on an address in Mail or Siri will still open up Apple Maps. An SDK has also been released though, for those developers who'd like to integrate Google Maps in their iOS apps [1].

Users are the ones who really win. Now you've got two major companies competing for a great maps app on iOS. I suppose any win for users of iOS is a win of some kind for Apple too.

[1] http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-new-way-to-add-google-maps-to-your.html

Glad to have Google Maps back on iPhone... Took me awhile to figure out how to get to street view... Even read help and everything I could find with no mention of how (and there is no button for it like I would have expected). Either way, Street View works, so I'm happy. :)

Took me awhile to figure out how to get to street view...
Too late but someone else might be able to use it:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57559016-285/getting-to-know-google-maps-on-ios/
When you search for a business, results will be represented on map by small red dots. Tapping on a red dot will reveal the name of the venue, and give you an estimated time of arrival using navigation to that location. You can either swipe left-to-right (or right-to-left) across the venue information to view the next result, or tap on the three line icon in the search bar to view the results as a list.
When a venue's information is shown along the bottom, you can swipe up to reveal more information for that venue, as well as Street View. Swiping down will take you back to the map view.

Google always abided by the same rules as other developers on iOS. Apple did the previous maps, and only used Google's data; the lack of features was either a) due to Apple not providing necessary data, b) weren't paying for it, which is not Google's fault, or c) something Google wouldn't make available to developers outside their own ecosystem.

It probably was a ploy, to at least remove their reliance on Google, but all they've done is made Google's stance stronger by giving them yet another point that influences peoples decisions to switch from iOS. If you've read tech blogs, a lot of iOS users have remarked on the quality of the new maps, and have stated interest in switching if only to see what else has been done to Android and its offering (The maps offered by iOS are likely to come to Android soon, but iOS was probably the focus due to the rug being pulled on Google the way it was).

For the most part, Google has always been interested in offering their services and products on every system they can as data, marketing and advertisements is their real business. Previously most things were just a wrapper for the webapp version, but given how the recent app updates have all taken design cues from Google Now it's fair to say Mathias Duarte has been involved with the updates, and he's a stickler for quality.

That's an interesting perspective, but perhaps I'm not cynical enough to think this really was a ploy? I think Apple could live without the brand tarnish from the Maps app (mostly, the errors in the data). It's becoming a running joke against the platform and a bit of a PR nightmare as park and police officials warn people not to depend on it. They also spent billions to acquire two mapping companies and developing the new Maps app. They probably didn't plan on a third party app coming in and plunking theirs down.

I just think they miscalculated. Mobile devices are becoming small glass windows to cloud services, most of which crunch large data sets to get you quick, meaningful and accurate answers. With Maps and Siri, I think Apple has showed that they don't yet have the competency here that they've enjoyed with hardware and interface. They'll get better, but I'd argue the game has moved to play more to Google's advantage.

But as you pointed out, as a third party app, Google Maps isn't a total solution (iOS has no true equivalent to Android's intents system). Tapping on an address in Mail or Siri will still open up Apple Maps. An SDK has also been released though, for those developers who'd like to integrate Google Maps in their iOS apps [1].

Users are the ones who really win. Now you've got two major companies competing for a great maps app on iOS. I suppose any win for users of iOS is a win of some kind for Apple too.

[1] http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-new-way-to-add-google-maps-to-your.html

Off-topic, but with your mention of Siri, you might be interested in this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brandall.nutter&hl=en

It's a relatively early development of the program, but it's a very impressive voice assistant. It also has integration with Tasker and I think he's planning to integrate into many of the more commonly used root-apps like Titanium Backup as well.

Previously most things were just a wrapper for the webapp version, but given how the recent app updates have all taken design cues from Google Now it's fair to say Mathias Duarte has been involved with the updates, and he's a stickler for quality.

Yes and no. He has helped shape the new guidelines we use for mobile interfaces and apps, though he hasn't had a lot of direct involvement with most updates. In this instance, the Geo team designed a uniquely iOS interface and experience. For that reason, you'll notice the iOS version of Google Maps doesn't contain features native to the Android version, and likewise, some of the interactions are completely different from its Android counterpart. It has the same polish given to recent app updates simply because the Geo team has very talented engineers who cared about making a nice app for iOS users.

Off-topic, but with your mention of Siri, you might be interested in this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brandall.nutter&hl=en

Yea, I have it on my tracker. I think it'll be interesting to see how it evolves.

Top Bottom