1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google loves XenForo's Resource Manager

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Adam Howard, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

You'll notice something extra on Google now when you search for XenForo add-ons :love:

Puntocom, DRE and Morgain like this.
  2. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

So google picks up on Resources easily and lists them. WONDERFUL
    Bodes well for my RMA.
    DRE likes this.
  3. Arantor

Arantor Active Member

There's nothing that surprising here, actually.

The RM pages have a decently high signal to noise ratio (like the rest of XF, really), and the notion that Google can, shock horror, examine the page contents to find something specifically identified in the source as a rating value... should not be a surprise to anyone here.
    SneakyDave likes this.
  4. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Well yes... there is of course that....

But I think the key point being that Google recognizes the rating system in the resource manager and adds the stars to match (Google's own stars that they use for their various rating system)

So now you can see the rating even via a Google search ;)
    Morgain likes this.
  5. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

No but it's wise not to take for granted with google, so this is welcome confirmation.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  6. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

bobster's showcase addon does that too.

Screen Shot 2013-06-06 at 7.44.38 PM.png
    Digital Doctor likes this.
  7. Arantor

Arantor Active Member

You mean like how everyone seems to be under the impression that Google gives away a bunch of stuff for free?
  8. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

Because HTML5!
  9. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

10. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Interesting, wonder what the specific criteria would be to get the rating listed? doing my own search for products in my own instance of the RR Yield the results minus the ratings?
  11. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

What version are you running? All you need is the micro data, which was introduced in 1.0.1.

It's just added HTML. (y)
  12. Arantor

Arantor Active Member

Yup, it's just specific tweaks to the HTML that aren't user visible but give more context to the content for Google. That's something the XF team excel at - getting the tiny details right.
  13. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

1.1.4.. Possibly the overviews where slurped up by the bots before the products had been rated.
  14. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Version of the resource manager. XF version won't help display them.
  15. sonnb

sonnb Well-Known Member

As I have commented on MicroData thread, we seem still lack of price data.

The price is not shown up from results by RM.
    Jeremy likes this.
  16. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You need 1.1.5 as well. :)
    Luxus, FredC, Veer and 2 others like this.
  17. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

I'm seeing duplicate content issues in Webmaster Tools related to Resource Manager. I wonder if there is a robots.txt addition we could make to correct it.

Screen Shot 2013-06-07 at 9.22.36 AM.png
  18. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

19. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

20. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

Judging from your screenshot, just set page as an parameter that changes the content of a site, or just add it as an parameter, and let googlebot decide. Most of the time, they discover that stuff by them self, in my WMT they have already figured out the page parameter there.