google insight, xenforo

Jake Bunce

http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=xenforo&cmpt=q

These stats are always interesting to look at. That spike in 2010 is publicity from the lawsuit announcement. Since then growth has been steady.

Screen shot 2012-08-12 at 12.16.19 AM.webp

It also shows popular search strings and regional information. 'xenforo nulled' :(

Screen shot 2012-08-12 at 12.18.46 AM.webp

Xenforo nulled + free Xenforo... damn. I guess you could be a glass half full kind of guy & say that is a good thing. Hopefully Xenforo continues to grow, and I cannot wait for 2.0!

I don't favor anyone using pirated XF - but I think it'd still work in XF's favor. There's a strong reason why Microsoft doesn't take action against everyone with a pirated copy of Windows. It helps them be the biggest OS in the market.

Not very accurate, but:
http://trends.builtwith.com/cms/XenForo

At leasts gives some idea of the upticks. Being a Rule of Thumb type of guy, I take those 1400 sites and double them to guess at the number of XF licenses sold - that is, quite a few have not been taken public or developed yet or are behind a firewall, etc.

So, 3,000 is my number. This could be slightly useful to those considering development of add-ons. It's not a big enough pool yet IMHO, but once it gets to the 10,000 or so, it will be.

The builtwith report seem inaccurate.
On their web page they state "We know of 1,303 sites using XenForo", when you register and try a free report it says "1,310 results - showing 1 to 500" (without me using any filter).

This does not look very trustworthy.

The Xenforo forum alone has 21,624 members. Ok, not everyone has bought a license, but some have bought several (I for example own 32 Xenforo licenses and thats only two forum accounts).

I don't favor anyone using pirated XF - but I think it'd still work in XF's favor. There's a strong reason why Microsoft doesn't take action against everyone with a pirated copy of Windows. It helps them be the biggest OS in the market.
Agree.

Although I don't approve, a percentage of people will convert from a nulled version to a paid license. i.e use it as a trial version.

In some ways I can understand this behaviour, even if I don't approve. Being able to use a fully functioning product without the restrictions of an online demo makes the product more appealing. I've often thought some sort of time limited demo would be better, but would be too easy to null therefore may even exasperate the problem.

Piracy does convert into valid users in time. I'd say about 50%. About 1/2 of everyone is honest, just as 1/2 of everyone is dishonest.

As there is no trailware version; I too started out with a private pirated copy. I needed to know everything there was about XenForo inside and out, before purchasing it. This mean seeing the code, knowing how it would act on my server setup, and how easy it was to modify or customize... These are thing you can't do with the online demo.

Today I'm a proud XenForo owner.... I regret nothing.

Piracy does convert into valid users in time. I'd say about 50%. About 1/2 of everyone is honest, just as 1/2 of everyone is dishonest.
Yes, but you need to understand that not a lot of people have a heart, like you do. And likewise, not a lot of people will do goodwill deeds like you.

This is the majority of the reason why Anonymous gets so much hate. They hurt companies at a scale that in turn, hurts the product, and then the customers are the ones who suffer. It's the same reason why piracy on movies is illegal; like some adverts say "Piracy is not a victimless crime."

If xenForo was a film company, you would be in jail today.

That being said, I would like get the topic back on track:

xenForo seems to be rising in popularity from that insight! :)

But how long would it take for those to convert into real customers, hmmm....

Not very accurate, but: http://trends.builtwith.com/cms/XenForo At leasts gives some idea of the upticks. Being a Rule of Thumb type of guy, I take those 1400 sites and double them to guess at the number of XF licenses sold - that is, quite a few have not been taken public or developed yet or are behind a firewall, etc. So, 3,000 is my number. This could be slightly useful to those considering development of add-ons. It's not a big enough pool yet IMHO, but once it gets to the 10,000 or so, it will be.

The builtwith report seem inaccurate. On their web page they state "We know of 1,303 sites using XenForo", when you register and try a free report it says "1,310 results - showing 1 to 500" (without me using any filter). The Xenforo forum alone has 21,624 members. Ok, not everyone has bought a license, but some have bought several (I for example own 32 Xenforo licenses and thats only two forum accounts).

Yikes! Walter you paid XenForo better part of $5K?!

1,300 = $192,400
3,000 = $444,000

Range of XenForo's revenue to date based on websites found.

Yes, but you need to understand that not a lot of people have a heart, like you do. And likewise, not a lot of people will do goodwill deeds like you.

Again, 50%. 1/2 of the people in the world will never do any good. The other 1/2 will, but not always in a timely manner.

This is the majority of the reason why Anonymous gets so much hate. They hurt companies at a scale that in turn, hurts the product.
I think you have the wrong idea about Anonymous.

Anonymous is a collective, a group of people. And just like any group of people, there are some rotten apples. And just like any bunch of rotten apples, they're typically the ones who get the most attentions in the news.

Anonymous has done a lot of good. For example, not to long ago there was a government in the middle east which was using it's defence network to collaborate and coordinate an attack upon innocent civilians who were trying to flea from a war zone. While the rest of the world played politics, innocent women and children were being killing by the hundreds. Anonymous shut down that defence network for over 24 hours and hundreds of innocent lives were saved.

Did you hear this in the news? I doubt it. Were you aware? I doubt it. Did anyone thank Anonymous? I doubt it and truthfully we didn't need any thanks, because at the end of the day we did good, we helped a lot of innocent people, we saved lives, and that is all that matters.

As I said.... With any group there are some bad people and there are some good people, but you only hear about the bad. You can't say all or even most of Anonymous is bad, just like you can't argue that all Republicans or Democrats are bad people.

If xenForo was a film company, you would be in jail today.

Would still do it and regret nothing. I purchase nothing without first knowing it.

Again, 50%. 1/2 of the people in the world will never do any good. The other 1/2 will, but not always in a timely manner.
Hm. Mmmmmm'kay.
I think you have the wrong idea about Anonymous.
Mmm...Nope. I don't think so. I have been watching every single one of Anonymous' moves since that large scale PSN hack. Ever since, we've been seeing a rise of hackings across the internet, across all kinds of companies. The latest ones include LinkedIn, Eharmony, and just, just today, Blizzard. And to quote someone who said it perfectly: "I'm sick of this!"

All Anonymous has done is blown this whole hacker thing into a whole new level. I used to read bits of hackings here and there, but nothing as big scale as that PSN hack. So, now just about any hacker wants in the pie.
Anonymous is a collective, a group of people. And just like any group of people, there are some rotten apples. And just like any bunch of rotten apples, they're typically the ones who get the most attentions in the news.
I saw a bio, and that video you posted about what they're about.... All I could think at the time was: "Mmmm... Yeah right."

The same group that posted that video posted a video about Activision painting them a bad picture. They dig themselves a bigger hole by making a video about Activision. With that video, they wanted to suck up a lot of money out of Eric Hirscberg's pocket. And destroy his life. I mean, putting someone else's information out there for the public to see? That's just as bad as the PSN hack. If you don't want to be known as a bad group, don't give the news organization something to pin on you.

You should know by now, that the media has a habit of blowing everything out of proportion. Websites do it for hits.
Anonymous has done a lot of good. For example, not to long ago there was a government in the middle east which was using it's defence network to collaborate and coordinate an attack upon innocent civilians who were trying to flea from a war zone. While the rest of the world played politics, innocent women and children were being killing by the hundreds. Anonymous shut down that defence network for over 24 hours and hundreds of innocent lives were saved.
I saw that news on the internet. :) That was good of them, but knowing that Anonymous did it just makes me go like "Then if they do this. Why the #@^& did they do that PSN hack? For attention?"
As I said.... With any group there are some bad people and there are some good people, but you only hear about the bad. You can't say all or even most of Anonymous is bad, just like you can't argue that all Republicans or Democrats are bad people.
I think you're a nice guy, and you've shown that here at xenForo for the past year now. I was afraid of "TheVisitor" because of the Anonymous stigma. I'm like, "What's Anonymous doing here of all places!?" And then, secretly, somewhere in my mind "HEY! Hack vBulletin." That day I was bursting out laughing. I almost fell off my chair. :ROFLMAO:
Would still do it and regret nothing. I purchase nothing without first knowing it.
Damn, son. You've got a lot of balls.[/End Post]

Top Bottom