Good Night

My interpretation is that @Lawrence is saying that he'd like the default to be disallow @Jon W's add-on from gathering any usage data about other developer's add-ons - unless the board admin explicitly gives permissions for the data to be shared.

Privacy ON by default - with an option to disable (or share). (y)

You can list all your add-ons you use or not, it is up to you.
The people in question have said that they're happy with that by installing an add-on that necessitates that to provide the functionality and that clearly explains what will be sent.

My concern is that a developer is dictating that his add-ons, if you choose to use them, will track specific data, and it is up to you to "opt out". On a side note, it is illegal in Canada for any company to do this.
You mean the add-on that is explicitly designed for checking whether you have add-ons that can be upgraded? The one whose explicit purpose is to use the data needed to provide the exact purpose that the people using it have asked for? It is opt in by definition of someone installing the add-on and it being explained on the resource page what data it collects.

To my understanding, your entire complaint revolves around the Waindigo install and upgrade add-on which has no connection to the premium discussion any more (from what I understand).

What seriously concerns me, is that XenForo is alright with this, and by reading Mikes reply in another thread, he is not only is alright with this but endorses it. Why? Because Jon is from the UK?
Seriously? If you want your argument to be taken seriously, calling me some sort of racist is clearly not a good way to do it.

Last edited:
On a side note, it is illegal in Canada for any company to do this.
The Canadian law is around opting users into behavior that they didn't initially sign up for. That doesn't apply here, the users signed up for the behavior when they initially installed the add-on. Again: they installed the add-on for this purpose.

What I am strongly requesting is that you respect my feelings on this
I don't really see any reason why you can't put that request in your resource listings, but you demanded it in your first post, and putting it in your license agreement is similarly blunt. Since it's likely unenforceable, I think you'd do better to just politely state your thoughts and request, and let users choose for themselves - since they'll be doing that anyway.

I respect a forum owners right to privacy, and no developer should be allowed to take that right from any forum owner.
You're doing nothing here to protect privacy rights. At all.

You want to use this add-on? Sure, go for it, that will be x dollars per year plus any information I choose to take from your site... don't worry, the add-on will do what you need it to do.. well until I decide you are not paying enough for it.
This is utterly ridiculous.

A subscription model for licensing is not inherently evil or arbitrary, and there is a very clear statement about what information is collected and why.

This has gotten completely out of hand.

While I don't agree with Jon's business model, it is his model and I don't have any say about how it works.

So far as the add-on that monitors other add-on version numbers for upgrades, it needs the name and version number to do it's job. I have absolutely no objection to that.

Wouldnt all this be so much simpler that only Waindigo addons are checked for upgrades UNLESS Waindigo has permission from the other developers to check explicity for theirs as well. As Waindigo gets permission, they can be added on his backend rather than new addon updates.

Edit - Nice OP post edit mods, but you gotta admit the original deleted sentence is infact very true ;)

Not sure why all the fuss, when Chris D's addon installer is far superior anyway. No fancy callbacks, no collection of data. Just does what it is supposed to. Bloatware be gone.

Last edited:
Sure was simpler when developers sold addons for a set price, I must admit I did laugh when I Saw the premium/account upgrade stuff on Waindigo's site, but as I've said before on another forum, if I don't like the terms of an addon, I just don't use it.

If I remember correctly, Jon already changed his code to transfer and compare MD5 strings of the add-ons and it's version numbers only. This makes it impossible for him to even identify single add-ons.

This should be more than sufficient for any developer to be okay with it.

Not sure why all the fuss, when Chris D's addon installer is far superior anyway. No fancy callbacks, no collection of data. Just does what it is supposed to. Bloatware be gone.
I wouldn't say that. There's a lot of bugs that I haven't yet had time to fix and really its method of collecting data is far from optimal to the point that @Mike will probably start docking my pay to cover all the bandwidth it sucks up ;)

Perhaps add-on developers who don't want their add-on information sent to Waindigo servers can provide some sort of API that can be checked against for their add-ons?

Perhaps add-on developers who don't want their add-on information sent to Waindigo servers can provide some sort of API that can be checked against for their add-ons?

No, why should we? And I am not going to do so. You know my feelings, and the feelings of a couple of other developers here, so why not show some respect and automatically set the mining of data to opt-out? But you won't, because that is not in your character.

You need to make money, understandable, well why not do what everybody else does? Work part-time somewhere to supplement your income and work on add-ons in your spare time, until your company can sustain itself and your family? That actually works.

******* gets caught (before the reason they were banned here), and sweeping changes were made to protect the rights of forum owners from developers with their own agendas, and what was the result? An opportunists jumps right in and takes over, and the staff here endorses it. You make a request to have a thread closed, the staff does it. You request to re-open a thread, the staff does it. You request to have posts edited and the staff does it. I tried to figure out why in a previous post and Mike jumped all over it, so the why, I guess, is irrelevant.

Like I said before, I can't stop you. However, I will be changing my licensing agreement for installing any future add-on I create. That, like life, isn't fair, but it is what I will do to protect the privacy of my add-ons and those who choose to use them.

@Chris D
I have the solution ... :sneaky:

Talk with Mike, Kier - than make your installer work best as you can and make it a core feature for xenforo from 2.0 upwards.
Then this discussion is ending and things would be much better than actualy and your community will also be happy. :love:

I see the problem deeper as others here. I think its not good, when one or two extern developers holds a core feature in theyr hands like installation and upgrade. This is why i think - this one should core in a better xenforo.

When i see how easy it ist to install an add-on in a wordpress eg ... :whistle:

:)

it is what I will do to protect the privacy of my add-ons and those who choose to use them.

You should stop the hand-waving about the privacy of "your users."

If one of your users has chosen to install Jon's add-on, they are making an informed decision about their own privacy and the amount of data they are willing to share.

You are not protecting them from anything - nor should you, nor can you.

You should make whatever decision you want about you own data, but it's disingenuous to pretend that you're on some morally superior crusade to protect your users.

Top Bottom