1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Enough Blogs 1.0.44

Formerly Better Blogs

1. Rigel Kentaurus

Rigel Kentaurus Well-Known Member

Rigel Kentaurus submitted a new resource:

Good Enough Blogs - Formerly Better Blogs

I'm the original author of the now defunct Better Blogs

I originally developed this as a substitute for our vBulletin Blogs, and it worked really well! We are also using that in production. Many hundreds of man-hours went into developing this product.

Unfortunately, really slow sales and increasing support costs didn't let me continue with the product.

Even today after a few months it's a solid product used in hundred of installations. The only thing missing is continuous updates, however, the advertised features work really well. It is performant, secure, has the features, has importers, and gets the job done.

I'm releasing this add-on as FREE for the community

You are allowed to modify, clone, redistribute, repackage, resell, translate, and do further development on this add-on as an individual or group. You can re-brand it if you want, and you don't need to acknowledge me at all (though that would be appreciated).

There is NO need to PM or email me asking for permission. It is released as-is and no guarantee or support is provided.

Read more about this resource...
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Mouth, ibrian, IPF and 5 others like this.
  2. Kairete

Kairete Member

3. Shiro

Shiro Well-Known Member

Can you refund me then? I feel ripped off.
  4. Rigel Kentaurus

I thought that would be a hot topic, because it always comes up. It is also part of the reason why people don't release things when they can no longer maintain it. I want to highlight a few things:

1) I said on the thread ahead of time, if there comes a time I could not maintain it, I would release it for someone else to maintain. I'm following up on my promise.
    2) Unless you purchase it and you never ever ever used it, at all, there is already some value that you got from there. It was a paid resource from 2012 from 2016. Think of it as being a few years ahead of the curve, as having had a competitive advantage for n years.
    3) There were maybe 580 hours of development time put into this. Probably more since at some point I stopped counting. So take it as you funded the original project at a very very cheap rate

What do you prefer? (considering your money is gone anyways)
    1) You will need to shell up for another $50 or $60 on the next blog add-ons that someone will come up with
    2) or, *maybe* someone will pick it up, and you have a chance of getting updates. And, if you want to contract work it's much more friendly that the code is open

Instead of seeing this code lost, I'd rather have it helping the community
    ge66, Cyb3r, 0ptima and 10 others like this.
  5. zoldos

zoldos Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks! I've been looking for a XenBlogs replacement. :) The price is right too. hehehe
  6. Kairete

Kairete Member

7. Rigel Kentaurus

No, I'm not available, I'm lacking time and that's why I'm releasing this for free. However, feel free to pick any of the good coders that are roaming around. As I mentioned, I have no attachment to the code :)
    otto likes this.
  8. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Thanks. A scholar and a gentlemen, setting the benchmark for all developers whom become time poor due to changes in life.
    Out of interest, has anything changed since https://xenforo.com/community/posts/846952/ or is 1.0.0 here the same as 1.0.44 there?
    otto likes this.
  9. hollosch

hollosch Active Member

Good question ;-)
  10. otto

otto Well-Known Member

Absolutly. +1 (y)
    hollosch likes this.
  11. SAS1024

SAS1024 Member

@Rigel Kentaurus , thank you!
    Can you publish your code on Github? I want to create fork with some bugfixes :)
    hollosch and zoldos like this.
  12. zoldos

zoldos Well-Known Member

I'd like to check this out. :)
  13. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

I guess you could download it, create you repo, and allow others to contribute changes too ;)
    otto, Rigel Kentaurus and hollosch like this.
  14. Rigel Kentaurus

IPF, Brad L, zoldos and 3 others like this.
  15. Shamatix

Shamatix Member

16. zoldos

zoldos Well-Known Member

This is based on Better Blogs. In fact, it apparently IS Better Blogs, just now released free.

I've already asked my users to donate for an unrelated mod and don't want to beg for another $50-$60. This blog is free, and it IS a blog. Good stuff. :D
    Rigel Kentaurus, SAS1024 and otto like this.
  17. mrkava

mrkava New Member

How add widget with Good Enough Blogs to XenPorta 2 portal??
  18. Rigel Kentaurus

There is no support for XenPorta 2, however, BD Widget is supported
    otto and mrkava like this.
  19. zoldos

zoldos Well-Known Member

@SAS1024 So how goes it? And do you plan on extending the blog with more features?
  20. SAS1024

SAS1024 Member

@zoldos I have no plans about extending this addon. Only fork with bugfixes like hiding deleted blog entries in widgets etc.
    otto and Kintaro like this.