1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to purchase

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Gregory, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Gregory

Gregory Member

after gold is released. Question: I'm using vb 3.8 would it be better if my attachments (very large file) were in a file or my database. They are currently in a folder.

Thanks,

Greg

2. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

I believe in the database.

3. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Our importer doesn't really care where your attachments are stored, you don't need to waste your time fiddling with that :)

twollert and Darkimmortal like this.
  4. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

Do the importers go back to vB 3.6.9 or 3.7 ??

5. steven s

What if you are moving from one server to another?

6. Gregory

Gregory Member

Thank you [​IMG]

7. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Anthony, the importer is intended for vBulletin 3.8, but it may well work with 3.7 and even 3.6. To be honest, we haven't sought out older installations to test.

Regarding moving server, it's more convenient to move server with attachments in the database as they can be dumped to a single file along with the rest of the data, but restoring them from a database dump can be more of a pain than just copying the files. I would move them in whatever medium they are currently stored and not worry about making a change for the sake of a server migration.

8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

The importer is for 3.7 and 3.8.

9. Gregory

Gregory Member

Cool, I've got both 3.7 & 3.8.6

10. Gregory

Gregory Member

Will PHP 5.3.4 work with xenforo?

11. steven s

At least I know this one.
    Yes. My forums are all running 5.3.4.

12. Null

Null Well-Known Member

Yes! XenForo's minimum PHP requirement is PHP 5.2.4.

You can also use this script to test if the server your website resides on is capable of running an installation of XenForo.

13. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

I think XF is losing or will lose potential sales unless more import scripts are developed or XF offers an importing service to customers.

14. R1Lover

R1Lover Member

I agree, there needs to be at the very least these import scripts

Vbulletin 3.x
    Vbuletin 4.x
    IPB 3.x
    Phpbb3

15. a legacy reborn

a legacy reborn Well-Known Member

add MyBB 1.6 and SMF 2

Darkimmortal likes this.
  16. R1Lover

R1Lover Member

Smf yes mybb.. Eh.. Not too many of those floating around is there?

17. steven s

I'm sure importers will come, but why develop importers before the stable version is released?
    Like it was posted elsewhere, many of us have vB licenses and might be willing to convert to vB3.8 first.
    I've done it for one, offered to another who never got back to me.

18. a legacy reborn

a legacy reborn Well-Known Member

I find MyBB the best Free Software actually...the only thing that is wrong with it is that there is no real development, but the features are comparable to the Top Paid Software. Not to mention I find MyBB the easiest to design(xF is coming close)

Darkimmortal likes this.
  19. Dodgeboard

Dodgeboard Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure as soon as XF goes gold, we will see mods released in droves soon after. Many developers are waiting to make sure last minute code changes/fixes don't break there mode to keep problems, support and development minimal. There's been a surprising amount of mods released prior to a stable XF. Wait until XF is released as a stable version. WOW!