XF 2.1 New users are going to 'Registered'

Guys,

I am having a spam issue, and I have always had 'manual' approval, in that all new persons need to be approved by Admin prior to posting.

What is going on though, is the guy is registering, and getting a 'Registered' status,
don't know if he can post or not, but he is able to 'like' posts and his bogus nic shows up

How do I get new registrations into the 'unregistered' category for permissions?

Why are they defaulting to a normal permissions or 'Registered' level when they haven't finished the process yet?

Please advise,

Any account which registers is obviously going to be in the Registered user group.

However, until they are confirmed, they receive permissions from the unregistered/unconfirmed user group.

Set the permissions as required for that user group.

That is what I am bringing up.

Which is exactly how it should work, as you say.

The new registrants prior to me confirming are being listed as 'Registered' in the admin panel rather than 'unregistered'

And yes, I have the permissions set accordingly.

In 'User group' it is showing 'Registered'

In 'User state' it is showing 'Valid'

The permissions are set by user group. Meaning I cannot change the group, as it will harm others.

The registrant in question is allowed to 'like' posts, but is not able to post. I am up to 8 bans on this guy now, and it is a existing member doing it, with the target being one of the moderators.

From what I found, xenforo automatically or by default, drops these new registrants temporarily into the 'registered' category instead of the 'unregistered' group. (It states it in admin/options/user regis/allow writing)

Is this particular person exploiting a set up issue on my end or is it something else?

Please advise,

that is not true,

as I am the only one as admin

and no, I had not 'approved' them

they are still sitting in upper left corner 'new users'

just happened again, he registered 2 new ones

and it is getting real old when you state "I have stuff set right and it should be working"

It isn't is the point

1.jpg

2.webp

Last edited:
Not sure if this would cause it but do you have it installed?

they are still sitting in upper left corner 'new users'
It might be worth clarifying or screenshotting this, because "new users" isn't the standard wording for this. It's part of the "approval queue" which is more than just users. Is this perhaps related to an add-on?

If this is actually the approval queue and the user is showing in that while having a "valid" user state, something has definitely gone wrong. We'd absolutely have to recommend confirming the issue with all add-ons disabled and by testing a registration yourself. (If you have any add-ons that may create registrations yourself--for example, something like Tapatalk--that would definitely be something that needs to be checked.)

Indeed, our standard troubleshooting protocol is to disable all add-ons and see if you can reproduce the problem. If you can't, enable them one-by-one to try to identify which is causing an issue.

fyi guys,

I have no add ons turned on, and haven't for quite some time

by 'new users', I meant '

Approval queue​

they are in there awaiting action,
but still able to do as stated,

---------

fyi showing my add ons and status

1.webp

Technically, there is a scenario where both could happen, but it's the sort of thing that tends to involve direct database changes.

Are there any change log entries shown for this user in the control panel?

Hi Mike and Brogan, and thanks! I do appreciate the help on this,

I have more in the que now, so I took some screenshots before doing anything,

The first screen shows new registers, top one is fine, the other 2 on the bottom are my boy playing games

the second screen shot is what is showing in admin under 'user', where I copied and pasted his name into 'search for users'

We can see that it is listed into 'user group' as 'Registered', which of course is where it is pulling the permissions from,
This allows that person temporarily to 'like' posts or other

This shows more completely what I have been trying to communicate,

gim2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We can see that it is listed into 'user group' as 'Registered', which of course is where it is pulling the permissions from
That is incorrect.

As I posted previously:
However, until they are confirmed, they receive permissions from the unregistered/unconfirmed user group.

1621023720483.png

Your screenshot clearly shows the state is not valid.

As an aside, I have deleted two of the attachments from your post as the user name was offensive and unacceptable for this forum.

yes, exactly (regarding that content you refer to) and that is why I came here,

I understand what you are saying for the 'user state',

but this person is creating these nics and able to 'like' posts, which you say cannot happen

Trying to get to the bottom of it and figure out how they can operate,

I have not found a post from him, but 3 more sign ups today,
he keeps creating new emails as I keep banning the emails also,

If xenforo had a way to see who liked what, I would be able to show you that

but this person is creating these nics and able to 'like' posts, which you say cannot happen

Trying to get to the bottom of it and figure out how they can operate,
Again, the permissions for users with a non valid state come from the Unregistered / Unconfirmed user group.

If users in that state can like content, it means the permission is set to yes in that group.

I realize what you say is how it is supposed to work,
Here is my most recent incantation, note the user, the state and status, the ability to react, and the permissions setting for that group

as I stated, the permissions are set properly, and yet the guy can 'like' posts

I have a glitch for whatever reason,

gim 2.webp

gim 1.webp

gim 3.webp

gim 4.webp

gim 5.webp

It's probably best that you submit a ticket at this point (with ACP login details) so we can reproduce the issue and go from there.

Resurrecting this one year old thread as the same thing happened to me today. I have only migrated from VB to Xenforo two months ago. All new members are moderated and must be approved by myself, the only admin. Last night someon came in and their file went right to valid without my intervention. They attempted to scam several people (using conversations) within minutes.... thankfully, that set of the red flags. They actually claimed to be in the US, and used 3 IP addresses while they were inside, two from the US and one from Nigeria. I am connected to Tapatalk, and new members from there arrive in the same moderation queue as everyone else. There are no other ways into my forum. I am wondering if there is an exploitation that has now become known... There is a single update from Xenforo that has not been done yet. Any help or ideas fromothers would be appreciated. Cheers.

I noticed when reading through the lastest update that one of the items that they patched was the ability for new members to bypass the moderation process. Update to be done very shortly. Hopefully that puts an end to it.

Top Bottom