XF 2.2 Can you mark pending new users as spam?

zackw

We have some rules to send new users into moderation queue. When we use the approval queue, our options are Do nothing, Approve, Reject.

Is there something else we should be doing when the user is obvious spam? Like when they have an obvious spammer fake email and wacky usernames? If all we do is reject the new user, does this send their registration details to SFS or ban the IP or email address or do anything to stop future registrations?

Instead of rejection, we can click on the avatar and open the profile card, click the cog wheel and choose ban. I assume banning them is a more harsh treatment than just rejecting them? Is banning the same as when we use the spam cleaner on a post?

So the question is, when a new user is pending in the approval queue and is obvious spam, should we reject them, or go into profile and ban? Or is there a spam cleaning option for them? Because I don't see a spam option.
Is trying to mark as spam overkill for just a pending registration?

What is the difference between rejecting the registration and banning it?

Select the user and click "Spam clean"
This will clean their account and any spam threads they have posted.

More info here: https://xenforo.com/docs/xf2/spam/#the-spam-cleaner

I mentioned this option is not available. Since this is a pending user registration, there is no content for spam cleaner to remove. All we can do is "Do nothing", "Approve", "Reject".
Or if we click their avatar and use the cog wheel, there is a "ban" option. There are not spam cleaning options for a pending registration.

The problem with using the ban tool is that we have to do this one by one so there is no bulk ban for junk registrations.

@zackw Spam Cleaner works with pending registrations. The issue is probably that your Spam Cleaner is limited to accounts created X days ago, and the pending users you are reviewing registered longer ago than X. Increase the number of days, and Spam Cleaner will appear for these users.

@zackw Spam Cleaner works with pending registrations. The issue is probably that your Spam Cleaner is limited to accounts created X days ago, and the pending users you are reviewing registered longer ago than X. Increase the number of days, and Spam Cleaner will appear for these users.
Ok thanks. I found that setting, it was 30 days.
The mods already cleared out the queue, but I'll check again some time when there are queue entries.
Cheers

Top Bottom