1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GoDaddy For Sale -

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Peggy, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

GoDaddy.com, the closely held website that registers Internet domain names, has put itself up for sale in an auction that could fetch more than $1 billion, people familiar with the matter said.

Read more...

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

I'm glad none of my sites are registered with godaddy. Liz

3. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Mine are. Guess I'd better see about moving them elsewhere.

4. Elizabeth

I use Namecheap, Peggy

5. gordy

gordy Well-Known Member

I do hope whomever buys them ditches the race car driver gal, don't get me wrong I love the lady's, but it gets so old and tiring seeing her mug on my renewal emails..

jmurrayhead, EQnoble and Doctor like this.
  6. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

alot of people seem to. I'll look into getting my domains moved over there.

7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I am unclear why you would need to move domains registered with gd. Whoever pay $1B will probably not destroy it.

8. DaKat

DaKat Well-Known Member

For a minute I thought that said IB...

9. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Namecheap FTW!
    Wanna use my referral code and make me money? hahah (im just kidding)

10. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Well-Known Member

_NEVER_ liked GoDaddy's interface, glad I don't use them. Now I just need to make sure none of the domains on other people's account I have association with doesn't have my information in the whois database, as well as their billing informations.

11. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Is now a bad time to admit that I have pre-paid hosting with them for the next 18months? :oops:

12. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

Why move them?

13. Elizabeth

Yeah...question, why prepay ahead that much? 

14. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Buying a 2 year block came with a huge discount. It is a shared hosting account, for hosting some static documents. We have full backups and the name registrar is someone else. We could switch over within a day to some other place.

15. pk698

pk698 Active Member

been using namecheap for many years now. Had godaddy at one point, but I quit after getting too many spam emails from them.

Dragonfly likes this.
  16. Floris

Floris Guest

Peggy, yep: MOVE
    And namecheap.com is great :)

17. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

GoDaddy has always treated me good, they've updated a ton of their interface over the years but still works for me just as good :). I've never had a single problem from ordered, to getting the domain set. I don't own hosting through them and I have heard horror stories regarding that but none that are first-hand to me. I don't see why you would need to move, whoever buys it isn't going to purchase it for the sole reason of shutting it down.

18. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

That was exactly my experience, and they were hopeless at customer support. Namecheap are awesome!

Does anyone have a Billion dollars for GoDaddy in the current market? Just curious, maybe the Ebay monster will gobble them up.

19. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

I've always found GoDaddy to go way to commercial on their website already being a commercial company. Their interface is too cluttered and their support service is lacking when you need it. Their DNS servers are also pretty slow compared to Namecheap. I used to have their service a long long time ago, ever since I've switched to Namecheap it's been much nicer and efficient to manage my domains and whatnot. Good luck to whoever buys it anyways! :)

20. Elizabeth

I don't remember who I had before namecheap but when I was looking around for a different one, godaddy was a possibility. a friend of mine told me to stay away as their user panel was very unfriendly. So I did. Namecheap has been awesome.