GoDaddy For Sale -

Their core business isn't exactly rocket science, so I fail to see how this can go wrong for new owners. The worst thing that might happen is prices going up. That would suck, but they are cheap now and probably will continue to be cheaper than the competition.

I just hope the new owners do something about the UI, I always hate to browse through that website because it's filled with clutter and has unintuitive navigation.
Agreed - and about the prices , I thought all .com domain purchases went up recently but this was ICANN's decision not GDaddy's
and about the UI - agreed totally they should have the option to display what options and tools you need, as it is I need to have 5 accounts with them just to manage everything and keep it sorted of sorts.

Thank you for that, It would only make it fair if people with good things to say posted here too so this doesn't look so one sided..no sense in starting a witch-hunt before we see any magic happening.

No they are based in arizona and must follow the code for a business operating in the united states first and for most. Which means they are bound to the same contract I am and must notify and give me the option to as whether or not I agree to their new policies.

There is nothing on ToS against that and furthermore I can't state the regulations at hand but they (unless the company goes chapter 11 ) they HAVE TO honor all arrangements made prior to changes unless they circumvent US law as they are a US based company.

this is the closest thing I could find in the Terms of Use
from ToU
15. SUCCESSORS AND ASSIGNS
These Terms of Use shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties hereto and their respective heirs, successors and assigns.

If I have to sign a contract (agreeing to ToS) I am bound to the same standards that said company announced , they are just as liable as I am under those terms. Also like I said they are based in Arizona, It would be a PR nightmare for the new owners if they tried to harm their customers and they would lose a billion dollars as they are in the home of sue-happy people.
This is from their legal agreement:
. FEES AND PAYMENTS
You agree to pay any and all prices and fees due for Services purchased at this Site at the time you order the Services.  All prices and fees are non-refundable unless otherwise expressly noted, even if your Services are suspended, terminated, or transferred prior to the end of the Services term.  Go Daddy expressly reserves the right to change or modify its prices and fees at any time, and such changes or modifications shall be posted online at this Site and effective immediately without need for further notice to you.  If you have purchased Services for a period of months or years, changes or modifications in prices and fees shall be effective when the Services in question come up for renewal as further described below.
So the minute you expire or come up for renewal, your's would be up for a new fee.
Liz 

This is from their legal agreement:

So the minute you expire or come up for renewal, your's would be up for a new fee.
Liz
yes but I would have the option before they could implement anything new to opt out even if they transfer the company without accepting the new policies. It pretty much means that they only risk losing my (anyones) business by changing things. As long as they follow the governing rules for the area of which they operate out of, and the new owners continue under the same name they have to honor their most recent agreement with you. Also they can't change what I've paid for already so I'm not worried as long as I have time to transfer domains if it's deemed necessary before they hit me with any charges.

Yeah what happened there was completely isolated and Jelsoft was a company based on the sale of one product. It was very specific and was tailored for the niche group of forum goers. Change a forum , watch your users bug out, change a forum company watch it's customers bug out. Its all in scale. I don't care so much to even hear about it anymore ( the whole vB thing. ) that's why I am here... I looked through the general attitude of things towards them and don't want to add domino's to knock over. In the case of godaddy they offer hundreds of options of purchase and I don't see changing owners circumventing the way a registrar runs too greatly, though I must say I have no clue how any of this would have effect on sites hosted there.

alot of people seem to. I'll look into getting my domains moved over there.
A while back, I registered a new domain name with Namecheap to see what it was like (all of my domains were with GoDaddy at the time). I loved it, transferred all of my domains to Namecheap, and have never looked back. :D

A while back, I registered a new domain name with Namecheap to see what it was like (all of my domains were with GoDaddy at the time). I loved it, transferred all of my domains to Namecheap, and have never looked back. :D
well hey you, haven't seen you around in a coon's age!

How does one go about transferring their domains to another registrar? Namely, Namecheap?

Everything you need to know: http://www.rundrupal.com/how-transfered-domain-from-godaddy-to-namecheap :D (Includes instructions on how to jump through GoDaddy's little hoops)

That does bring up the interesting point that GD makes it a little bit ridiculous when it comes to the dashboard area in some areas and there is an error here and there (in my experiance) and I should start looking into alternatives instead of locking 90% of what I have as far as domain names into one registar.

Thank you for this post and subsequent link ... gave me a new perspective and I will be looking into other registars now. Much respect.

update: should have added that I have never had the need to transfer a domain from any registar and thus have no experience transferring one

Bob Parsons is a genius... he took it from nothing to the largest domain provider on the planet... sex does sell, simple as that, and he used it to achieve what GoDaddy is today... a near billion dollar annual company.

Yeah I always thought that was kind of funny, boring domain names with hot chick on the frontpage... but it seemed to have worked out well.

Bob Parsons is a genius... he took it from nothing to the largest domain provider on the planet... sex does sell, simple as that, and he used it to achieve what GoDaddy is today... a near billion dollar annual company.
yup he sure is , and yup it sure does but it may be time for a new ad campaign to replace this tired one, but we can leave that to the new owners if they get some one or a group to buy it.

Top Bottom