Liabilities in having a "for sale / trade" section in a forum?

PatriotGB

Is anyone aware of any legal liabilities related to having a "For Sale / Trade" section on a forum?

Thanks!

Yep, unless you disclaim any liabilities for transactions between the individual parties, you could be counted as a "third party" in the transaction.
We are simply a conduit for the listing. As with Craigslist, FB MarketPlace and more the onus is between the two parties.
Now, if you are doing any "holding/processing" of payment, then you have a deeper level of responsibility that can be placed upon you (say using PayPal to process the transaction then forwarding the amount to the seller like certain add-ons allow) then I'd suggest you contact an attorney to have a specific write-up that covers you.

It doesn't take a lengthy exclusion to help protect you.

Screen Shot 2022-11-17 at 11.30.46 PM.png

Last edited:
Is there an add-on that would provide a template (fields for item, price, photos, etc) for members posting items for sale?

Also... a way to set a post # or membership duration requirement for members to post classifieds? In other words, before a member can participate in the classified sections, they would have to have XX posts in the forum or a member for XX days. This would be to avoid people registering JUST to sell / buy.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Is anyone aware of any legal liabilities related to having a "For Sale / Trade" section on a forum?

Thanks!
Depends on your country and if you are inside or outside EU...
I can tell only about my experiences in Germany.

Is there an add-on that would provide a template (fields for item, price, photos, etc) for members posting items for sale?

Also... a way to set a post # or membership duration requirement for members to post classifieds? In other words, before a member can participate in the classified sections, they would have to have XX posts in the forum or a member for XX days. This would be to avoid people registering JUST to sell / buy.

Thanks!
You don’t need a template, just use custom thread fields.

You can give members permissions to post classifieds via usergroup promotions

Neither need an addon

You don’t need a template, just use custom thread fields.

Neither need an addon

Yep. Been poking around with usergroup promotions. Though, I haven't figured out how to get their usergroup (promoted) to show up in their profile card thingy:
1668812524123.webp

I'll have to poke around with the custom thread fields. Don't know anything about them.... yet.

Thanks for your help!

So, I think I've set up the usergroup promotion, but I have not seen any member's usergroup change accordingly, even though they meet the criteria... 45 posts and 30 days of membership. Is there something I'm missing? Does it not happen automatically?

ETA: Whoops! I checked the wrong box. Now it's right.
1668813405130.png
That part is working now. :-)

Last edited:
No, it doesn't happen immediately... there is a cron job that runs the promotions routine.
By default I think it runs every 20 minutes or so.

The promotion runs on a cron job, the time can be set ion the ACP (search for "cron entries") -- on our forum it runs every hour at 20 minutes past the hour. So if you just set up the promotion, it may take a little while for the promotion to happen.

As for making the promotion show up in the profile, you can use a banner for the promoted user group.

This is the group that my "registered" users move into after 5 posts and 7 days of membership.

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 5.27.13 PM.webp
Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 5.27.27 PM.webp

New members (those only in the registered group) have a banner that shows as New Member and once the above promotion is processed and they meet the requirements they then have a banner of Member.

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 5.29.53 PM.webp

The promotion also only works if the member has been active. If you want the promotion to take effect immediately for all eligible members then you'll need to run the rebuild user group promotion task in the rebuild caches options in the tools menu.

Honestly.. people ***** about permissions and learning how to implement them.. for me, the hardest thing to learn was the promotions.

Top Bottom