1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Glitch? Now seeing: "This message is awaiting moderator approval"

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by arj, Jan 23, 2016.

1. arj

arj Member

Hi there

Our forum has started displaying "This message is awaiting moderator approval" for new members' posts. We haven't actually edited anything, so not quite sure how it's being caused.

What is the permission I need to edit and where is it?

Thanks in advance!!

2. wang

wang Well-Known Member

The permission name for message moderation is called Follow message moderation rules: And can be found under the General Permission group.

arj likes this.
  3. arj

arj Member

Hi there, where abouts would I find that?
    Sorry, I'm totally a noob.

4. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Users, User Group Permissions, Registered users - then search for Follow message moderation rules.

/edit - pasted something unrelated lol

5. wang

wang Well-Known Member

You will find that at the Group Permissions. Please see the attached screenshot.

permissions.png

6. arj

arj Member

I think I found it, it seems that was set to No, but although I've changed it, I'm still getting the same message?
    Is there anywhere else it could be triggered?

7. wang

wang Well-Known Member

Are those members in a secondary group? If so, check the secondary group as well for the moderation permission.

Are you using an anti spam add on by any chance? Maybe its settings have it so all new members posts will be moderated.

8. arj

arj Member

Hi there, thanks for your help. They are, but the secondary groups seem to have those permissions set, too.
    Would a user need to log out and then back in for the permissions to apply?

I thought we had an anti spam addon but it seems we don't, it's just the Stop Forum Spam under 'User Registration'.

9. arj

arj Member

It's also awaiting approval for posts, but I'm guessing that's covered in the same permission?

10. arj

arj Member

It's not happening to the admin or moderator accounts, but I can't seem to see any difference in the permission?!

11. wang

wang Well-Known Member

That permission should take affect immediately.

What do you mean by this? Are the posts in the moderation queue or the users? Can you please post a screenshot of your moderation queue?

12. arj

arj Member

Hi there it looks like this. The posts and the threads are both in the moderation queue.

[​IMG]

The permissions for Registered look like this:

[​IMG]

13. arj

arj Member

It doesn't appear to be happening to all users, either - 2 users both in the same groups - 1 can post and the other can't.

The only difference seems to be number of posts/time since they joined that I can identify as separating them?

[​IMG]

14. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Judging by the titles of those threads, i'd say it's a spam function that's sending them into moderation.

Tracy Perry and arj like this.
  15. arj

arj Member

Ah, sorry - it's not, we run a diabetes website and that post was made by an account created by us.

Is there anything IP-based that could trip it?

16. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I'm not saying they are spam posts, but that to a spam filter it could flag up as one.

17. arj

arj Member

Ah, understood. Sadly it's happening to other people's posts that are more normal!

18. arj

arj Member

It also seems that users also have this in common, does that mean the issue may be somewhere else?

[​IMG]

19. arj

arj Member

Hi all - thanks ever so much. It seemed the cache needed rebuilding and that sorted it! :eek:

wang likes this.
  20. wang

wang Well-Known Member

Glad to see that this is resolved sir.