XF 1.1 Getting a lot of authorization errors

Renegade

I am getting a lot of 403 errors on the section which is not visible to unregistered/unconfirmed. How is google crawler even able to see the list of threads in that section?

Does it get crawled from the RSS feeds. How do I disable that? I have news feed disabled but still the RSS icon shows up.

Search engines are also guests. If guests can't view a particular section then neither can search engines.

The outgoing feeds also obey permissions.

Maybe Google got the thread links from an Adsense banner on the page. There are many possibilities. Merely having the link isn't cause for concern. Test it yourself when you are logged out to make sure you can't access the thread.

I don't know if vB sent 403 headers like XF does (which is the correct header to sent).

On a related note. I have got several 503 error but all the pages are thread view order related (or xentrader pages). I don't think this qualifies as a 503 error.

community/forums/latest-technology-news.102/page-22?order=title
community/forums/latest-technology-news.102/page-37?order=title
community/forums/closed-deals.64/page-22?order=view_count
community/forums/closed-deals.64/page-28?order=view_count
community/forums/laptop-buying-advice.74/page-22?order=title
community/forums/latest-technology-news.102/page-22?order=view_count
community/xentrader/katmandude.12050/?page=22
community/forums/graphic-cards.40/page-255?order=view_count&direction=asc

Where are those 503 errors logged? Do you get a 503 yourself when visiting those pages?

XenForo does return a 503 in some situations, such as when the board is turned off or in the middle of an upgrade. XenForo always displays a readable error with a 503 to explain the reason. Or maybe your host or server person was performing temporary maintenance.

In google webmaster tools. If it were due to the board turned off or server maintenance then I would have got some other pages in the error as well. The error count is 1.2K and all pages are ordering or xentrader profile related.

You can look in the logs on the server itself to try to find a record of these requests. But if those pages are working fine right now and you are unable to reproduce the error then you may not wish to spend time on this.

The server error logs at xf admin side is blank. Which is inline with my expectation that there is no server issue. Frankly I do not care if those links do not get crawled but perhaps the error being returned by XF is not accurate.

The server error logs at xf admin side is blank. Which is inline with my expectation that there is no server issue. Frankly I do not care if those links do not get crawled but perhaps the error being returned by XF is not accurate.

We only have a status code. The error might be from your web server and not XenForo.

Top Bottom