1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Get back hard deleted threads without backup?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Enguerran A, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Enguerran A

Enguerran A Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have a big problem at the moment :/ I was editing my prefixes (removing and adding some of them) and I edited a prefix I was using for some really important threads but now they just disappear :'( Is there a way to get them back?

Edit : wazs my fault, I forgot that when you select threads and change page, they are still selected :'( now i'm crying

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Once a thread is hard deleted, you must use a back up. Soft deleted threads can be restored.

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Editing or deleting prefixes doesn't delete threads.

The threads will still exist.

4. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

He means he had threads selected using the inline moderation and while editing prefixes he deleted a few threads but accidentally had others selected.

5. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Hard deleted means hard deleted - no way to get them back without a backup.

That's why it's called hard deleted ;)

6. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

Check Google Cache, and see if they have cached those threads. At the very least, you can rebuild them if you don't have a backup.

AndyB likes this.
  7. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's the type of mistake you only make once... And by mistake I'm not referring to the action of deleting threads. I'm talking about not having a backup. Biggest mistake you can make. I bet you'll be performing regular backups from now on, right?

AndyB likes this.
  8. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

My schedule's been off lately, but usually I try to take a backup every Friday on KH-Flare.

Haven't taken one since Sunday, September 29, hence the my schedule being off comment.

9. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

This is why no mod/admin, including me the site owner, has hard delete enabled on the mod permissions page.

10. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Does that mean you never hard delete posts and threads?

11. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Ditto.

No hard delete capability on my site either, even for me.

12. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

Never.

13. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

mydumper = your friend

run it daily via cron and have the system set up to keep the last 7 on the server. rsync them to my Mac Desktop and local server (2TB Raid using 10k RPM SCSI drives) and on there I keep a months worth.