Game of Thrones Season 3

I can not believe how much it "fits" with what I imagined when I read the books!! Yes, it does not follow the books strictly, but they do a great great job ! The last episode was super !!

I never got into game of thrones the whole thing about pushing kids out of windows and rape kind of put me of...
But whatever floats your boat I guess.

I never got into game of thrones the whole thing about pushing kids out of windows and rape kind of put me of...
But whatever floats your boat I guess.

Very much agree. there is a lot of unnecessary and boring violence. Boring because it is made so commonplace it just becomes a good moment for a piss.
The rape and frequent humiliation of women (and I have now seen an attempted rape of a man too) is unpleasant to say the least. It is again unnecessary in quantity. Interesting that we only see the man subjected to an attempted rape, not an actual one. The castration of a male child is similarly described - in surprisingly not-graphic detail, where the torture of women is reveled in luscious detail.
It seems that the sanctity of the male body is a higher priority. Not in terms of general violence, but in terms of sexual violence. In male obsessed thinking women rate less than men do, or have even been thought to suffer less by sexual violence than men do. Not so long ago priests and doctors pointed out that a woman's organs were designed for the usage so there is less shock and trauma.

It is an interesting comparison that violence in other ways - fighting, bullying, is greatly in the majority male on male, and this is displayed in great detail and frequency. In contrast mutilation and murder of women is not nearly so frequent, and not displayed in detail.
It seems that certain kinds of violence are 'appropriate' to each gender. It is acceptable to view women being raped, but not men. It is acceptable to view men being impaled, or mutilated by loss of parts, or flogged, or executed or murdered, but not women nearly so much.
Children are mentioned as suffering violence, impalement, murder, but this is not displayed. I do not think I have heard mention of children being raped.

I doubt mediaeval society in the areas where war spawned general violence, was so segregated. Men were routinely raped on ships, in the armies, in back corridors of castles, and on streets if not in protective gang groups in certain areas. Less powerful males were fair prey sexually. Women were mutilated and killed as enthusiastically as men were.
The series and probably the books) seem to be driven by a modern politics of gender.

I have learned to disregard a lot of rape and violence in films. If I do not I am condemned to watch pastel mush or nothing.
I wish it were possible to have the politics, the settings, the charcacterisation, plot, costumes, symbolism, artwork, architecture, interlacing etc of GoT with about a tenth of the violence.
It would then retain its shock value and impact AS VIOLENCE instead of being oh just another yawn bit oh look you can see how they got that effect.

It has become cumulative and films have to do more and more messy yuck to make us feel a sense of violence.
Originally the theatre rule was that violence took place offstage entirely. We reverberated to messengers or witnesses accounts of it because of the power of the acting. Now it's all exploding bags of red paint.

I kinda always figured that Jaime had no choice in the matter, but I certainly do not feel for him and his love for his sister (the incest sort of love).

Poor Lanaster children! They should all just kill their dad and live in small cottages in some peaceful place up north lmao

I am loving the new series so far, cannot wait to see the rest! Saw episode 5 last night (I am already feeling sad that we are half way through), I thought the scene between Jaime and Brienne was really good. Any scenes with Ygritte now make me chuckle since finding out how posh Rose Leslie is (her family have their own 'ancestral seat'), I wonder what Clan Leslie thought of the nekkid scenes?! She does a fantastic accent, I never would have guessed that she wasn't from the north.

I've read the books so I know what is coming... I'm not sure whether it's more exciting to know what's coming up or for it to all be a surprise :)

Have tried to write without spoilers.

I thought the scene between Jaime and Brienne was really good.
Me too. A little too long considering its mega angst but still v good. Loved the3 final shot in it.

Any scenes with Ygritte now make me chuckle since finding out how posh Rose Leslie is (her family have their own 'ancestral seat'), I wonder what Clan Leslie thought of the nekkid scenes?! She does a fantastic accent, I never would have guessed that she wasn't from the north.
Oh her - pretty girl but the character is so ANNOYING - nothing but this sneering at him over and over ... so repetitive and boring. But this week was a bit better for her.

The sex this week was not so baldly sexploitative too. Almost good.
I liked Cersei and Tyrion suddenly in a different power position, and even Littlefingers was almost human.

Oh her - pretty girl but the character is so ANNOYING - nothing but this sneering at him over and over ... so repetitive and boring. But this week was a bit better for her.

I quite like her in the books, but I can understand how she might grate for the constant "You know nothing Jon Snow"!

I liked Cersei and Tyrion suddenly in a different power position, and even Littlefingers was almost human.

Absolutely! Loved the scene between Cersei, Tyrion and Tywin, I had a massive grin on my face when Tywin laid down the law to Cersei! :D

This is one of the first sex scenes that was actually in the books. All of the other ones were thrown in there for no other reason than it's HBO. They LOVE having exposition done by prostitutes, for some reason.

If you've missed a show or two, its easy to be thinking "WTF".... It moves along fast. Filled with a lot of story,

Not this week it's not. Talky talky.
Ygritte and Jon are getting better and seeing one lady in a pink dress was quite cute..
Pretty blah in general. Not even Tyrion raised the game and as for no sight of my favourite queen pooh.

Is this the Bear Maiden ep 7 you're talking about?
because ep 6 was pretty blah if I have to sit through another like that I think I'll give up on it all.

OK Daenerys was quite good. Dragons getting to be players.
The rest was just visiting all the characters so they can redo what they are, what they've done and said before.
Real soap episode blah.
I assume at least some of the big acts are happening this series. I wish they'd spread the action out a bit. All squashed in the last 3 - the last 2? the last 1? means a lot of pap episodes.
7 episodes so far and only ONE was good.

Top Bottom