Gallery Options

Hi all,
New xenForo user here. Just got it up and running a couple of days ago. The site I'm working on is a outdoor hiking/backpacking/camping community. Due to the nature of the site, it is going to be very picture heavy.

I did not do sufficient research to learn that there doesn't seem to be a good robust gallery solution available for xenForo yet.

Right now I have "User Albums" installed. While it is functional, I'd rather have something a bit more robust since I anticipiate eventually having a lot of pictures.

I was thinking about perhaps a third party Gallery (like "Gallery" or Coppermine), but it isn't a great solution unless I can somehow integrate at least authentication with xenForo.

Has anyone else came up with a good solution?

Thanks!

Hi Jeff,

I'm in exactly the same boat as you are. I can't launch my board yet until a robust gallery is in place. Let me know what you decide to do. I'm ready to use another board solution if I have to for the time being.

We're also in major need of a decent gallery solution (something along the lines of photopost or vbgallery, but with way better integration into XF than the poor/half-assed attempt by the photopost people).

If we cant find one within a month or so we'll either move software, or build one ourselves.

I don't see why a bunch of can't get together to chip in and have someone build this thing. I mean c'mon! No XF developer wants to be bothered with this even if they're paid? I'm confused by this.

Ken

I would donate at least 600$ if someone would work on a really good (!) gallery AddOn.
Co-sign. All I need is an addon like xfruser albums but with the following album types:

Public (exists currently XFR User Albums)
Private (exists currently in XFR User Albums)
Global Albums (exists currently in XFR User Albums Beta)
Member's Only (All Logged In Members Can See)
Followed (Only Members You Follow Can View)
Custom (Only Members You Add Below Can View)

Just wanted to add that I am in the exact same boat as most everyone else. Just launched a forum that is very photo-intensive and have been left scratching my head about this issue. I need something more along the lines of the 'User Albums' Addon, but still can't use that one really until it gets a little more mature.

I ended up using 'User Albums'. It really needs to be developed further, but I really wanted some sort of solution in place when I launched the site. I'd certainly contribute some cash toward getting one created (or an existing one enhanced.)

Maybe we'll have a solution soon.. Then I'll have to deal with migrating from 'user albums', but that's something a little SQL magic can take care of.

I have no specific or immediate use for a gallery, i use "User albums" currently, however this is missing a couple of what i would class "standard" options which would be useful. However i would hapily donate around $60 towards a decent gallery add-on - i know it's not much compared to others, however feel free to add it to the "virtual pot" :)

I would put money into a pot too. Lets get something organized. Which developer should we ask to do this?

guiltar is planning to make a gallery module but it might take a while. I am looking for a good and well-supported gallery as well. I don't like having to ditch an addon later because lack of support and important features.

I'm afraid I wont be able to contribute to what has been suggested as we need something a lot better than the current options. I'm still weighing up how much work it'd be for myself to do it. I've got a good knowledge of the xenForo framework so that wouldn't be an issue. However if I was to do it, it'd be from scratch with a much better feature base. I'd then release it as a paid add-on to help cover my costs.

Maybe it would help if we actually had a 'must-have features' list - I'm going to see about putting them down on paper so I can get the ball rolling.

For the record. I have had a good look at IP.Gallery and am going to basically make it for XenForo although a little different in little ways.

Due to changes in my situation this might happen fairly soon. Although the scope I am aiming on it is a big job to complete, months of work.

Not sure if you two have talked about this yet, but maybe you should link up instead of creating competing Addons? Just make one very good one. My community is more than willing to fork out some cash for a feature rich User Albums Addon, and from the looks of it, a lot of others are as well.

what other features are you actually getting added into this gallery?
Robbo was the second coder that pimped out my User Albums Addon but looking at the last reply, he isn't interested anymore. I will ask the first coder who modified XFR User Albums for me if he's willing to finish the project. Back then I had only paid him $50 but since I have some other webmasters interested that have raised more money than that, he might be tempted to work on it again. If you have any ideas you would like implemented in the addon, shoot me a message or hit me up on my site sometime. You should check out the gallery next time you sign on so you can see what extra features have been added so far.

For the record. I have had a good look at IP.Gallery and am going to basically make it for XenForo although a little different in little ways.

Due to changes in my situation this might happen fairly soon. Although the scope I am aiming on it is a big job to complete, months of work.

Any chance for a light version that is released not at the end of the year but sooner?

Top Bottom