1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funky stats for guests?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by MattH, Nov 15, 2015.

1. MattH

MattH Active Member

I just noticed a large number of guests on the forum, around 70... we tend to have about 30 for this, and when it 'pops' I tend to look into traffic sources to see if there is a link/tweet or something to boost it. When I looked in google analytics, I got a completely different number..

Anyone else experience this and know which might be right?

Screen Shot 2015-11-15 at 4.49.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-11-15 at 4.49.35 PM.png

2. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

MattH likes this.
  3. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

In addition to the above, Google Analytics is showing you current visitors in real-time (ie users that have your website open and focused).

The online status in XenForo is measured differently, using a timeout (defaulting to 15 mins) from last activity. So that means you have had 70ish "guests" in a rolling 15 minute period, not all at once.

RoldanLT likes this.
  4. MattH

MattH Active Member

interesting thanks. I had thought that XF tagged the bots as bots,as my normal numbers seem believable.. EG 30 guests when I have 30+ members signed in as standard, with maybe 18 bots..

And I also thought it was real time, as the reaction time to sending out a blast is pretty fast, and people drop off pretty fast when bored! Guess I should look closer at that.