FTP timeout issue

Floyd R Turbo

Another non-xF issue...

I use FileZilla for FTP. When I try to do my periodic backup of my public_html folder, it starts chomping away just fine then times out and locks me out of my site (completely - cannot view on web, log into cPanel, connect on FTP, nothing) for about 5 minutes.

I know that it is a simple setting in the FTP program like active vs passive, a port setting (using port 21, as directed by host) or limiting the # of connections, all of which I have tried, and to no avail. I recall that I was able to correct this issue before but I can't recall what I did, and I have since switched PCs so I lost my settings, and I've tried many recommendations that I found googling the issue. Still locks me out.

Any suggestions?

In filezilla, open the Edit menu, then Settings
Click Transfers on the left and reduce the maximum number of connections.
If you have access to the server as root, or access to whm, you can increase the number of connections allowed per IP, which solved it for me.

The error I keep getting is "too many connections at this time" or something along those lines. It just happened to me again as I was trying to establish a connection using various settings. I would abort the connection when one hung up, but apparently this does not disconnect completely.

This is also the error I have been getting when I try to do a backup download of xF. I can d/l the DB no problem via mySQL but I can't d/l my board, or I'm guessing, u/l the new version once I want to do that either.

Well somehow I made it work. I was set to Passive mode and that wasn't working. I switched to Active and I was able to log in. Started backing up and as I was typing this saying everything looked good, I'm locked out again.

Error: Disconnected from server: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted
Error: File transfer failed
Status: Connection attempt failed with "ETIMEDOUT - Connection attempt timed out".
Error: Could not connect to server
Status: Delaying connection for 20 seconds due to previously failed connection attempt...
Status: Delaying connection for 1 second due to previously failed connection attempt...

:mad:

Yea, sounds like CSF firewall is setup to block too many connection attempts.
Do you have a VPS or Dedicated server?

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to server/hosting type questions. Pretty sure it's a VPS, definitely not dedicated.

the firewall limit might be it. I'd ask my host to whitelist the IP but he hasn't responded to me in over a month.

I limited it to one connection and was able to d/l my entire public_html directory in 2 separate instances with an hour in between (after the first one hung up) and the total in the back dir is 47MB (not counting the DB, which I did separately via myPHPadmin)

I seem to recall it hanging up one time after 29.9MB was downloaded. So maybe I never saw this on install because it was fresh (prior to vB import).

For some reason, it's now working, but only under active mode and with only 1 connection allowed. I had a web buddy of mine confirm it through another IP/host and then I ran a full 47MB d/l from mine and it went through without a hangup, but I wasn't watching it (giving kid a bath). Odd. Passive mode still doesn't connect at all.

Sounds like the firewall and/or FTP isn't configured for passive ports.
If you haven't heard from your host in a month, you should consider another host, imo.

I just found a message I had been searching for (not sure why I couldn't find it before) where he said to use passive sftp, testing that now on the full public_html dir (47MB) with 6 connections and no u/d limit

Top Bottom